Lead BMS Applications Engineer
- Lake Shore Blvd, Orion Charter Township, MI 48362, USA
PPS customer is a growing Battery company.
The Lead BMS Applications Engineer is responsible for the design, development and execution of Battery Management System (BMS) software and controls applications in both 48V and high voltage lithium ion battery systems. The individual will be responsible for specifying, implementing and validating control algorithms related to Li Ion battery systems. The candidate will need to be well versed in hardware, software and CAN communications as well as typical development tools.
The Lead BMS Applications Engineer will be a critical component of the ABS BMS development team. They will serve as the key liaison to suppliers for functional requirements as well as the point person for BMS functionality within the ABS team. They will be expected to be well versed in software, controls and hardware and be able to identify requirements and short comings with existing designs and contribute to the solution.
The Lead BMS Applications Engineer will work in an intimate, dynamic environment where they will need to be able to apply critical thinking and adapt to quickly changing requirements. They will interact daily with other design team members and suppliers of BMS’s, and hardware components. The candidate will identify requirements from multiple sources, including, but not limited to other engineers, business development, customers, regulatory and safety. They will need to be able to articulate those requirements into concise documentation and work with suppliers on meeting those requirements as well as implement them in controls and software. They need to be able to lead and participate in all aspect of the development and validation of safety critical applications including DFMEA’s and DVP&R’s. The candidate will be expected to meet tight deadlines and be able to communicate to leadership on status on a regular basis.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Specify and document functional requirements for both 48V and high voltage BMS.
• Work with suppliers to implement and validate functional requirements including simulation on Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) simulators and real battery systems.
• Work closely with battery design team, business development team and customers to elicit requirements and turn into functional requirements
• Develop controls and software for critical battery functionality
• Develop schematics and specify hardware and design requirements to the battery design team for subsystems associated with the BMS
• Configure existing BMS to meet needs for specific customer applications
• Develop and review DFMEA’s for controls and battery systems.
• Key contributor in evaluation of potential suppliers
• Develop tools and requirements to be used with BMS for end of line testing and in field use.
• Develop and execute DVP&R for both internally generated application software as well as software supplied by suppliers.
• Be able to work in wide range of environments and disciplines to avoid and solve problems in safety critical systems
• Familiarity in functional safety requirements and implementation of safety critical applications.
Bachelor of Science (Masters preferred) in Controls, computer science or equivalent degree
• >= 3 years of experience in automotive or similar electrical systems
• Experience in Battery Management System software and controls
• Experience with Matlab/Simulink/Stateflow (Embedded coder preferred)
• Experience in C/C++ software development
• Experience with CAN and CAN development tools including CANalyzer and CANbedded
• Prefer experience in schematic and PCB design software (Altium preferred)
• Experience with High Voltage batteries and safety knowledge
• Ability to work in a team and individually.
• Experience with the handling high voltage systems
• Ability to present data/solutions in clear manner easy for non-experts to understand
• Experience with Hardware-In-the-Loop Systems
• Ability to work in controls, software and hardware
• Proven ability to analyze problems and find solutions.
• Ability to develop in-house tools (preferred)
Looking for a great team to grow with? Make an immediate impact with? Join us! We understand that people are the greatest asset any company has. With this full time Direct Hire Opportunity, we offer a generous compensation and benefits package, along with the team feel of a small company and the support of a global experience.