Senior Systems Engineer - Battery
- South Blvd, Troy, MI, USA
PPS customer is a growing battery manufacturing company.
The Senior Systems Engineer ensures the battery system operates properly and safely within the customer’s host system through design, analysis and testing. This role is engaged from the prototype stage through launch and becomes the expert in understanding the interfaces between the host vehicle and battery including high-voltage wiring, contactor and relay behavior, low voltage control wiring, application-specific protocols, message sets and diagnostics, and electromagnetic compatibility and grounding. This is a senior role where leadership and mentoring skills are important.
- Highlight, prevent and resolve issues resulting from incompatibilities between the host platform and the battery system.
- Ongoing: Develop and maintain standards and checklists for use in assessing compatibility and safety of battery systems and host platforms.
- During the early product development phase: Learn and analyze the electrical, electronic and mechanical interfaces between the customer’s host platform and the battery pack.
- Establish fluency regarding host vehicle-to-battery networks including terminations, messages, and analytical tools (e.g., CANalyzer)
- Establish fluency regarding diagnostic messages and related failure modes (what causes each fault to trigger) and response modes (how the battery and the vehicle respond)
- Establish understanding of vehicle electrical distribution system (harnesses, shielding, routing) and grounding topologies.
- During vehicle prototype testing phases: Support customer onsite with system reviews and troubleshooting/problem solving. Provide lessons learned feedback to the appropriate internal and Customer engineering teams as issues are encountered and resolved.
Additional Support Responsibilities:
- Mentor less experienced engineers
- Support design validation teams
- Work closely with marketing functions to understand customer technical requirements and build multi-generation technical plans for different applications.
- Assess competitive technologies
- Support Design FMEA
- Support Service Engineering recommending improving Service strategies
· Degree and Experience in Electrical or Controls Engineering or equivalent
· Minimum 5 years of experience in electric vehicle programs, with battery Design and Integration
· Working knowledge of CANalyzer, CANoe and NI-based analysis and development tools
· Understanding of Battery Management Systems and relationships between controllable attributes, and battery life and performance.
· Excellent communications and interpersonal skills – position requires strong interaction in multi-functional team environment particularly in high-pressure situations (e.g., launch)
· Strong English skills, both spoken and written
· Travel 10–20% of time
· Takes ownership of the product and project
· Demonstrates excellent customer
· Works independently and overcomes obstacles to achieve results
· Evaluates existing work processes and initiate practices to promote continuous improvement.
Looking for a great team to grow with? Make an immediate impact with? Join us! We understand that people are the greatest asset any company has. With this full time Direct Hire Opportunity, we offer a generous compensation and benefits package, along with the team feel of a small company and the support of a global enterprise.
Although all of our applicants are important to us, sponsorship is not offered with this opportunity.