Administrator II, Database
- 5508 Lonas Rd, Knoxville, TN
- Employees can work remotely
- Position Category: Enterprise Data (IT-ENTERPRISEDATA)
Pilot Company is the 10th largest privately held company in North America with more than 28,000 team members. As the industry-leading network of travel centers, we have more than 950 retail and fueling locations in 44 states and six Canadian provinces. Our energy and logistics division is a top supplier of fuel, employing one of the largest tanker fleets and providing critical services to oil operations in our nation's busiest basins. Pilot Company supports a growing portfolio of brands with expertise in supply chain and retail operations, logistics and transportation, technology and digital innovation, construction, maintenance, human resources, finance, sales and marketing.
Founded in 1958, we are proud to be family owned and consider our team members to be part of the family. Our founding values, people-first culture and commitment to giving back remains true to us today. Whether we are serving guests, a fellow team member, or a trucking company, we are dedicated fueling people and keeping North America moving.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The purpose of this job is to complete database administration projects, provide database administration expertise, and solve issues to ensure high reliability and performance of the company’s database systems.
1. Complete projects and ongoing activities related to the operation and organization of the databases, assessment, and implementation of new technologies
2. Work closely with other infrastructure teams to maintain, troubleshoot (e.g., connection failure, application errors, space thresholds), and optimize database systems and components
3. Collaborate with database engineers and application developers to maintain and tune databases from a software platform perspective; suggest, test, and implement database platform configuration changes and comprehensive preventative database maintenance
4. Install new database servers, patch existing servers, oversee SQL Server Reporting Services scale-out deployments and assist with lifecycle planning activities
5. Implement a comprehensive backup strategy to ensure the defined RPO is met for all databases
6. Implement solutions for a) robust High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR), and b) strong database security (e.g., access control, encryption, auditing)
7. Implement solutions for a) database archiving and purging adherent to the defined PFJ Data Retention Policy, b) removing production data from a non-production environment, and c) a robust, comprehensive monitoring strategy to ensure near 100% availability of production database systems
8. Automate and execute routine health checks for database systems
9. Document database systems and topology and ensure documentation remains current
10. Model behaviors that support the company’s common purpose; ensure guests and team members are supported at the highest level
11. Ensure all activities are in compliance with rules, regulations, policies, and procedures set forth by manager
12. Complete other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or related field
* Minimum three years’ technology operations experience with database structures, theories, principles, and practices
* Minimum three years’ experience implementing operational automation using scripts
* Certification in MCTS, MCITP, MVP preferred
* Intermediate level skills in troubleshooting and resolving database problems
* Intermediate level understanding of Information Security Policies and how they relate with database systems (e.g., Splunk)
* Intermediate knowledge of: o implementing High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) solutions for database systems (e.g., Data Mirroring, Replication, AlwaysOn Availability Groups) o native backups, restores, and recovery models o ETL and reporting solutions (e.g., SSRS, SSIS) o database performance tuning and optimization using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools o indexes, index management, and statistics on how operating systems work with database systems o a SQL language
* Basic knowledge of: o cloud database services, o third-party database monitoring tools, o relational database modeling and design principles