IL - Payroll Specialist
- PharmaCann, Chicago, IL, United States
Join the movement!
PharmaCann, one of the nation’s leading cannabis companies, is changing the way people view cannabis. Be a part of the team shaping the future of this booming industry, where our people, our reputation and our standards matter. With a strong foundation and dynamic growth plan, opportunities to join our team abound in this fast-paced environment. Are you ready to join the movement?
We’re grounded and growing. Based in Chicago, PharmaCann operates thirteen dispensaries and four production facilities across multiple states including New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maryland, Ohio and Pennsylvania with licensing secured in the Midwest and on the east coast. For more information about our company, please visit pharmacann.com.
The Payroll Specialist is responsible for the daily operations of our multi-state payroll process. The ideal candidate will have a positive and proactive attitude, possess strong organizational skills, demonstrate meticulous attention to detail, and be a strong communicator, both written and verbally. Strong experience in Microsoft Excel and payroll auditing are also important. This position will support current locations in IL, MA, MD, NY,OH and PA as well as upcoming new locations.
● Manage full-cycle activities in Payroll processes including bi-weekly payrolls (regular, OT, PTO), bonus and commission payments, garnishments, child support, annual W-2’s, etc.
● Recommend and participate in the development of new procedures and policies related to payroll operations utilizing knowledge of state, federal and local policies and regulations
● Resolve discrepancies with payroll and/or documentation to ensure accuracy of records and employee payments.
● Identify, analyze, research and resolve all payroll-related inquiries and issues in a timely manner.
● Field all employee questions regarding payroll with friendly customer service
● Administer time and attendance records audits, maintain and balance electronic timecards.
● Address outstanding PTO requests before pay period close to avoid manual payroll adjustments
● Ensure accurate local, State and Federal tax withholding for employees, are set up correctly in third pary payroll system.
● Prepare reports to reconcile and audit payroll deductions, earnings, taxes and nontaxable wages.
● Comply with federal, state and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation.
● Oversee the preparation, process and audit of month-end balancing reports, quarterly balancing reports, quarterly 941 filings, year-end balancing reports and year-end closings.
● Process employee verification of employment (VOE) requests
● Calculate all PTO accruals for new hires, upon termination and during leaves of absence
● Maintain and distribute annual Payroll Calendar
● Determine payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and the employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers’ compensation payments.
● Assist with the implementation and administration of a new payroll system
● Process all employee expense reimbursements through payroll
● Initiate and manage onboarding process
● Assist in preparing required reporting, including annual EEO-1 report
● Reconcile and audit benefit invoices prior to payment
● Assist with other accounting duties as necessary
● 3-5 years’ experience owning and running entire payroll process
● Experience processing payroll across multiple states
● 1-2 years’ experience managing internal relationships between Accounting and HR teams
● Experience with union benefits and requirements desired, but not required
● Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel (pivot tables, VLookUp, Macros)
● Strong customer service skills
● Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Attention to detail, proven analytical skills
● College degree or equivalent work experience
● Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation desired.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
PharmaCann, LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age disability or genetics. We value diversity, military service, and law enforcement experience. Compensation is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. Benefits are available.