Veterinary Assistant/Technician - Champion Wood Animal Hospital
- 8620 Spring Cypress Rd, Spring, TX 77379, USA
- Location: Spring, TX
- Job Family: Hospital
- Department: Operations
For over 25 years, our team of veterinarians in Spring has provided comprehensive and compassionate services. We believe that pets and their families come first and take pride in building a bond with you and your pet. You can trust us to treat your pets like our own family.
As veterinarians, we’ve taken an oath to use our scientific knowledge and skill to protect animal health and welfare, to prevent animal suffering, and to promote public health. Veterinarians are unique in that we are educated to protect the health of both people and animals. At Champion Wood Animal Hospital, we take this responsibility very seriously.
The Veterinary Assistant/Technician is required to assist the practitioners to the fullest possible extent, to help improve the quality of care given to the patients and to aid the practitioners in achieving greater efficiency by relieving them of technical work and administrative detail. In addition to the doctor(s), veterinary technicians and assistants report directly to the Practice Manager or Technician Team Leader.
- Support veterinarians in procedures using accurate restraint; know how to restrain fractious patients.
- Assist veterinarian in surgical procedures using proper aseptic technique.
- Maintain and use equipment such as Abaxis labwork equipment, radiology system, and autoclave.
- Perform routine laboratory procedures and analyses in hematology, microbiology, urinalysis, and serology.
- Prepare samples for outside laboratory analysis.
- Monitor patients under anesthesia.
- Induce anesthesia and intubate a patient (if licensed tech).
- Coordinate treatments and injections following the instructions of a doctor or a treatment form.
- Initiate emergency procedures; triage patients.
- Maintain pharmacy records, and controlled drug, anesthesia logs.
- Take radiographs, with knowledge of accurate positioning and techniques.
- Take vital signs of animals including temperature, pulse, and respiration.
- Perform dental cleanings.
- Perform and analyze skin and ear cytologies.
- Perform catheterization- urinary and venous.
- Review vaccination records and prepare vaccines according to our vaccine protocol.
- Complete anal gland expression, ear cleanings, and nail trims
- Assist in maintaining and preparing records, consent forms, other documents.
- Support out other team members as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 2+ years of experience.
- Professional appearance required; scrubs are to be worn at all times.
- Must be able to work all shifts, including weekends & holidays.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Work well independently and in a group.
As an employee, you may have access to a wide range of benefits, training, and career growth opportunities. Need to move? Don't change employers; move with us. (Some benefits available to full time positions only).
Benefits include but not limited to:
- Competitive Compensation Plans
- Schedules to Balance Work, Life, and Family
- Maternity and Paternity
- Mentorship / Training
- Licensing fees, CE and professional dues
- Medical, vision, dental, and more
- Paid-time off (full-time employees)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Relocation assistance (for New Hires and Internal Mobility)
About the Employer: This hospital is owned and operated by PetWell Partners. At our hospitals, our Veterinarians make decisions about medicine and treatment choices. We are a fast-growing and the first AAHA accredited network of veterinary hospitals. We currently operate over 45 hospitals across eight states with over 725 employees.
PetWell Partners is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. PetWell Partners is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.