Environment Artist - Vista Artist
- Project: Maverick
- Department: Art
- Location: PL, Warsaw (Remote/Hybrid))
People Can Fly is one of the leading independent AAA games development studios with an international team of hundreds of talented individuals working from offices located in Poland, UK, US, and Canada, and from all over the world thanks to our remote work programs.
Founded in 2002, we made our mark on the shooter genre with titles such as Painkiller, Bulletstorm, Gears of War: Judgment, and Outriders. We are one of the most experienced Unreal Engine studios in the industry and we are expanding it with in-house solutions called PCF Framework.
Our creative teams are currently working on several exciting titles: Gemini is our new project being developed with Square Enix; Maverick is a Triple-A game developed in collaboration with Microsoft Corporation; Bifrost, Victoria and Dagger are projects we're growing in the self-publishing model. We also have one project in the concept phase – Red; as well as two projects in VR technology – Green Hell VR and Bulletstorm VR - an exciting VR version of our cult-classic shooter.
With over 20 years of experience, PCF sets out to explore new horizons. We aim to combine our expertise with creativity of the best and most forward-thinking talents in the industry to work together on the new generation of action games for the global gaming community.
If you decide to accompany us on this journey, you’ll have a chance to perfect your craft and expand your knowledge, working alongside leaders in the industry on bringing a brand-new unique experience to the players worldwide.
Project Maverick is a yet unannounced AAA game developed with Microsoft. The game development involves our European and North American teams.
Contribute to the artistic vision and development of a product with a specialized focus on creating fantastic vistas through the generation of matte paintings, skyboxes, and background geometry.
A Vista Artist must possess the ability to effectively collaborate with a wide-range of development team members outside of their direct discipline such as the Art Director, Environment Artists, FX Artists, Designers, Technical Artist, Animators, Programmers and Producers to optimally achieve artistic goals and implementation as they relate to design and technological considerations.
- Generate and texture realistic terrains, bespoke vista assets, matte paintings, and skyboxes.
- Create 3D models, sculpt, and paint 2D texture maps, ensuring adherence to quality standards and artistic vision.
- Collaborate with Art Director, Art Lead, and other artists to achieve cohesive aesthetic and conceptual representation.
- Coordinate with Lighting, FX, and Tech Art teams to optimize vistas for frame rate and technical requirements.
- Demonstrate proficiency in matte painting, skybox creation, and level art workflow.
- Work with Tech Art to develop non-destructive tools for landscape generation and optimization.
- Proactively innovate and document cutting-edge workflows to inspire fellow artists.
- Contribute to other aspects of Environment Art production as needed, such as set dressing and world building.
- Self-motivated, organized, and able to meet consistently meet production deadlines
- Great teammate invested in the success and development of the studio
- Able to communicate optimally, give constructive feedback and direction as well as adapt to creative and art directio
- 3+ years of experience in video game or film production, demonstrating strong traditional fine art skills and training.
- Proficient in illustration, painting, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design, with expertise in composition, rendering, and lighting.
- Specialized in creating efficient 360 vistas using 2D/3D elements for parallax effects, with a focus on matte painting.
- Mastery in modeling, rendering, and texturing, utilizing tools such as Maya, Substance Painter/Designer, Photoshop, and ZBrush.
- Familiar with video game development workflows, including high and low poly modeling, texture painting, particle systems, UV layout, animation, VFX, and engine optimizations.
- Basic knowledge of runtime materials and experience in animating environmental FX like clouds and lightning.
- Excellent communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal direction, determining and developing optimal solutions.
- Proven production experience in terrain and vista creation for AAA video games.
- Proficient in terrain generation software like Gaea or World Machine.
- Experience with Maya, 3ds Max, Blender, and ZBrush.
- Strong collaboration skills and experience with PBR-rendered photo-realistic game assets.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Experience developing two or more game titles is considered a strength.
- Previous or next-gen video game platform experience is desirable.
- Knowledge of World Machine, Gaea, Terragen is a plus.
What we offer:
- A competitive salary and performance-based annual bonuses.
- Private medical healthcare including dental treatment for PCF members and their families (Signal Iduna).
- MultiSport card for you and your family members or friends.
- Access to Worksmile - cafeteria program.
- Free library with a wide range of games and books you have unlimited access to.
- In-company Polish and English language classes.
- Fresh fruit, snacks, and beverages for everyone in the office.
- Flexible working hours.
- Free virtual health and mental wellbeing sessions are included in the plan for members and their dependents.
- Personal development opportunities and ability to work in a global environment.
- Work in a creative team with people full of passion for what they do.