Lead Technical Artist
- Project: Maverick
- Department: Tech Art
- Location: UK, Newcastle (Remote/Hybrid)
People Can Fly is one of the leading independent AAA games development studios with an international team of hundreds of talented individuals working from offices located in Poland, UK, US, and Canada, and from all over the world thanks to our remote work programs.
Founded in 2002, we made our mark on the shooter genre with titles such as Painkiller, Bulletstorm, Gears of War: Judgment, and Outriders. We are one of the most experienced Unreal Engine studios in the industry and we are expanding it with in-house solutions called PCF Framework.
Our creative teams are currently working on several exciting titles: Gemini is our new project being developed with Square Enix; Bifrost, Victoria and Dagger are projects we're growing in the self-publishing model. We also have one project in the concept phase – Red; as well as two projects in VR technology – Green Hell VR and Thunder - a new project based on one of the IPs from the Group’s portfolio.
With over 20 years of experience, PCF sets out to explore new horizons. We aim to combine our expertise with creativity of the best and most forward-thinking talents in the industry to work together on the new generation of action games for the global gaming community.
If you decide to accompany us on this journey, you’ll have a chance to perfect your craft and expand your knowledge, working alongside leaders in the industry on bringing a brand-new unique experience to the players worldwide.
Project Maverick is a yet unannounced AAA game developed with Microsoft. The game development involves our European and North American teams.
- To set the pipeline and technical tools as well as maintain the quality standards to deliver the highest class of assets created by Technical Artist Team and ensure that they follow the Art Director vision.
- Maintain and develop the workflow together with the Programmers.
- Manage talents of the Technical Artist team to achieve the best possible result for the project and personal growth of team members.
- Have an overview of all workflows and pipelines and supervise all improvements.
- Provide mentorship, direction and best in class management principles to ensure quality results and efficient working practices.
- Mentoring, managing, and leading the Technical Artist department.
- Provide day-to-day feedback and creatively solve problems.
- Work with the production team on tasks assignment and a team schedule.
- Work hand in hand with the Art Director and Art Leads to set the technical guidelines for content development.
- Develop powerful and efficient workflows for the Tech Art team working together with the Programmers and Programmers Leads.
- Research and implement new techniques and procedures to improve game asset quality.
- Creating high quality assets and gadgets suitable technically and artistically to project the universe.
- Help improve and refine shader, texture, lighting quality.
- Explore and help develop new technologies for integration into the asset pipeline.
- Identify and resolve pipeline issues.
- Analyze and improve art asset inefficiencies to optimize console and PC performance.
- Act as a liaison between the Programmers and Art departments.
- Providing R&D projects and pipeline and workflows improvements.
- Bugfixing and describing R&D case studies in knowledge base.
- Supervision of bugfixing and describing R&D case studies in knowledge base.
- Conduct consistent performance reviews of staff members.
- Conduct recruitment projects with HR collaboration.
- Conduct the onboarding for new hires.
- Typically 7+ years of game development experience.
- Typically at least two AAA titles developed and shipped from start to finish.
- Typically 2 years of team leading experience.
- Strong Leadership and mentoring skills.
- Great understanding of creative and game development processes.
- Experience in all aspects of creating game content for consoles and PC.
- Extensive experience working with UE4.
- Expert Maya knowledge.
- Strong knowledge of particle systems, environmental effects, cloth simulations, lighting, and dynamics.
- Visual scripting in Unreal Engine Editor strong experience.
- High proficiency in technical problem solving.
- High knowledge of Photoshop, Zbrush/Mudbox, Substance Designer, and Adobe Suite.
- Proficiency with Atlassian software (JIRA, Confluence).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Open-minded team player attitude.
- Strong work ethic and self-motivation.
- Passionate about playing and making video games.
What we offer
- A competitive salary and performance-based annual bonuses.
- Private medical healthcare (Vitality) and BUPA dental insurance for PCF's employees and their families.
- Access to wellbeing platform - Gympass for employees and family members.
- Access to Worksmile - cafeteria program.
- Online Polish and English language classes.
- Access to the pension scheme.
- Flexible working hours.
- Free virtual health and mental wellbeing sessions included in the plan for members and their dependents.
- Personal development opportunities and ability to work in a global environment.
- Work in a creative team with people full of passion for what they do.