Lead UI Programmer
- 405 Av. Ogilvy, Montréal, QC H3N 1M3, Canada
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Code
- Location: CA, Montreal (Remote/Hybrid)
- Project: Dagger
People Can Fly is one of the leading Polish gaming studios and a globally operating AAA game developer that made its mark on the action shooter genre with titles such as Painkiller, Bulletstorm, Gears of War: Judgement and Outriders. We are also one of the most experienced Unreal Engine studios in the world. We have gained a vast know-how as a part of Epic Games family and we have developed our unique, trademark approach to the engine as an independent studio. We are rapidly growing, ambitious company looking for the most promising talents working in the game industry.
In December 2020 studios’ holding company PCF Group S.A. debuted as a public company on the Warsaw Stock Exchange. Over the last 5 years, our studios have grown from 40 to over 350 people, whom we affectionately call ‘Aviators’. In addition to our headquarters in Warsaw, we have studios located in Poland (Lodz and Rzeszow), the UK (Newcastle), the US (New York and Chicago), and Canada (Montreal) – with plans to expand even further in near future! Recently, our family was extended with a newly formed partnership with Game On, a creative motion capture, animation, and audio studio with a portfolio of AAA collaborations.
To foster the creative process, we make sure that our culture stays informal, whilst direct
communication and a quick decision-making process really matter. As a PCF aviator, you will have a real impact on the games we’re working on. We also offer access to solid know-how, creative resources, and constructive feedback at every stage of development. Our modus operandi is based on staying dynamic, evolving in sync with gaming industry trends and focusing on delivering creative solutions in any circumstances.
During the pandemic, we have successfully transitioned to a remote work model, and we aim to develop it further and keep this option available to most of our employees. And with millions of players embracing our recent hit, Outriders, we can guarantee that you will work on the projects with true impact on the whole gaming community.
Project Dagger is a new IP developed with Take-Two Interactive. It’s a yet unannounced AAA action-adventure game developed by our North American team supported by PCF’s European studios.
Take flight on this amazing journey with us and spread your wings in the game industry!
In this role, you will elevate the profile of the UI Engineering Discipline consistently
across both projects and the wider PCF group by ensuring optimal staffing,predictable development, maximizing growth within the team and keeping the bar high.
We search for a passionate and aspiring leader, who will build and support collaborative connections with the rest of the team, manage and guide the development of UI engineers, and help the team establish technical vision and processes. You will also collaborate closely with the UI Design department to help them bring design vision to life.
The ideal candidate prioritizes collaboration and support to peers, understands UI
and UX principles and has an experience of building teams
What you will do
• Create and maintain direction and best in class engineering principles to ensure quality results and efficient working practices
• Collaborate with Production to ensure effective planning to meet project goals and to facilitate staffing and strategy requirements
• Ensure best practices are acknowledged and used, proactively seek ways to level up the whole discipline
• Design and architect UI systems and solutions across Studio projects
• Implement scalable UI code and components; deploy, evaluate performance, optimize, and test it on PC and console platforms
• Set up and maintain collaborative connections with Game Design, UI/UX, Audio, QA, and the other discipline teams
• Set up a standard of documenting implementations for UI Engineer team
• Conduct consistent performance reviews of staff members
• Coordinate recruitment in collaboration with the HR department. Develop recruiting process and proactively search for improvement opportunities
• Create a team spirit by developing personal relationship with all developers and understanding their personalities, strengths, and weaknesses
• Provide coaching, mentoring and required support for team members
• Communicate and collaborate with Production and stakeholders to identify and highlight risks or skill requests with projects and team members
• Actively participate in the implementation of more efficient work methods and methodologies
• Serve as an active partner in the engineering team’s leadership group
• Serve as an entry point for the technical design of UI features
• Support the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire engineering staff
• Facilitate and organize a communication with the project teams to define and maintain UI vision (both technical and non-technical)
• 6+ years of experience working in the game industry or related field
• At least 1 shipped AAA game title
• Experience in leading teams, coaching, and mentoring engineers or other technical developers
• Knowledge of design principles relating to user-interface and ergonomics
• Excellent cross-disciplinary communications experience between production, engineering, QA, design, art and other departments
• Experience in the design and architecture of game systems
• Strong understanding of game development, awareness of the typical processes in the industry
• Ability to write solid, reliable, efficient code, running across multiple platforms
• Hands-on experience with Unreal Engine 4, C++ and UMG
• A passion for video games
• Aptitude for UX design
• Degree in Computer Science, Management or equivalent professional training
What we offer
- Competitive salary
- Personal development opportunities and the possibility to work in a multicultural environment
- Working with highly-skilled, senior-level professionals
- Being part of a young organization and having a true impact on your daily work
- Opportunity to work on innovative, exciting AAA projects with the newest technologies
- An informal atmosphere, no dress code, no unwanted formalities