Lead UI Programmer
- aleja "Solidarności" 171, 00-877 Warszawa, Poland
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Code
- Location: PL, Warsaw (Remote/Hybrid))
- Project: Gemini
People Can Fly is one of the leading independent AAA games development studios with an international team of hundreds of talented individuals working from offices located in Poland, UK, US, and Canada, and from all over the world thanks to our remote work programs.
Founded in 2002, we made our mark on the shooter genre with titles such as Painkiller, Bulletstorm, Gears of War: Judgment, and Outriders. We are one of the most experienced Unreal Engine studios in the industry and we are expanding it with in-house solutions called PCF Framework.
Our creative teams are currently working on several exciting AAA projects with the top publishers in the industry: Project Gemini with Square Enix and Project Dagger with Take-Two (2K), in addition to a new IP to be self-published and two other games in a concept phase. One of our IPs is also being adapted for VR technology.
With over 20 years of experience, PCF sets out to explore new horizons. We aim to combine our expertise with creativity of the best and most forward-thinking talents in the industry to work together on the new generation of action games for the global gaming community.
If you decide to accompany us on this journey, you’ll have a chance to perfect your craft and expand your knowledge, working alongside leaders in the industry on bringing a brand-new unique experience to the players worldwide.
Project Gemini is a yet unannounced AAA game developed with Square Enix – the publisher of our recent AAA title, Outriders. The game development involves primarily our Europe based teams.
If you feel yourself able to deliver as nobody else, take ownership of your projects, and are ready to leave a mark on a game you work on, apply now!
In this role, you will elevate the profile of the UI Engineering Discipline consistently across both projects and the wider PCF group by ensuring optimal staffing, predictable development, maximizing growth within the team and keeping the bar high.
We search for a passionate and aspiring leader, who will build and support collaborative connections with the rest of the team, manage and guide the development of UI engineers, and help the team establish technical vision and processes. You will also collaborate closely with the UI Design department to help them bring design vision to life.
The ideal candidate prioritizes collaboration and support to peers, understands UI and UX principles and has an experience of building teams.
What you will do
- Create and maintain direction and best in class engineering principles to ensure quality results and efficient working practices
- Collaborate with Production to ensure effective planning to meet project goals and to facilitate staffing and strategy requirements
- Ensure best practices are acknowledged and used, proactively seek ways to level up the whole discipline
- Design and architect UI systems and solutions across Studio projects
- Implement scalable UI code and components; deploy, evaluate performance, optimize, and test it on PC and console platforms
- Set up and maintain collaborative connections with Game Design, UI/UX, Audio, QA, and the other discipline teams
- Set up a standard of documenting implementations for UI Engineer team
- Conduct consistent performance reviews of staff members
- Coordinate recruitment in collaboration with the HR department. Develop recruiting process and proactively search for improvement opportunities
- Create a team spirit by developing personal relationship with all developers and understanding their personalities, strengths, and weaknesses
- Provide coaching, mentoring and required support for team members
- Communicate and collaborate with Production and stakeholders to identify and highlight risks or skill requests with projects and team members
- Actively participate in the implementation of more efficient work methods and methodologies
- Serve as an active partner in the engineering team’s leadership group
- Serve as an entry point for the technical design of UI features
- Support the professional goals and development opportunities for the entire engineering staff
- Facilitate and organize a communication with the project teams to define and maintain UI vision (both technical and non-technical)
- 6+ years of experience working in the game industry or related field
- At least 1 shipped AAA game title
- Experience in leading teams, coaching, and mentoring engineers or other technical developers
- Knowledge of design principles relating to user-interface and ergonomics
- Excellent cross-disciplinary communications experience between production, engineering, QA, design, art and other departments
- Experience in the design and architecture of game systems
- Strong understanding of game development, awareness of the typical processes in the industry
- Ability to write solid, reliable, efficient code, running across multiple platforms
- Hands-on experience with Unreal Engine 4, C++ and UMG
- A passion for video games
- Aptitude for UX design
- Degree in Computer Science, Management or equivalent professional training
What we offer
- A competitive salary and performance-based annual bonuses.
- Private medical healthcare including dental treatment for PCF members and their families (Signal Iduna).
- MultiSport card for you and your family members or friends.
- Access to Worksmile - cafeteria program.
- Free library with a wide range of games and books you have unlimited access to.
- In-company Polish and English language classes.
- Fresh fruit, snacks, and beverages for everyone in the office.
- Flexible working hours.
- Free virtual health and mental wellbeing sessions are included in the plan for members and their dependents.
- Personal development opportunities and ability to work in a global environment.
- Work in a creative team with people full of passion for what they do