Senior Software Engineer
- Boston, MA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
As the industry leader in compensation data and technology, Payscale helps organizations
#getpayright. Payscale is the only technology solution for managing compensation that provides multiple streams of fresh, transparently curated, and validated salary data. Combined with modeling engines that learn continuously and generate recommendations and insight, Payscale empowers HR to price jobs and adjust compensation to reflect real-time changes in the market — all on one trusted data platform.
With Payscale’s Adaptive Compensation Advantage, we operate with efficiency, focused on
outcomes rather than manual data management. To learn how companies like The Washington Post, Perry Ellis International, United Healthcare and The New York Times rely on Payscale to attract and retain top talent, motivate and engage employees and plan their future workforce, visit payscale.com.
What We Do: The Data Engineering Team focuses on building fast, accurate, and reliable access to data. We also build data pipelines and own and support our data warehouse. The team advocates for good data practices and makes sure that the many Payscale teams, our customers, and job-seekers, are able to make good data driven decisions.
What You Do: You will be designing, building, and enhancing our systems so that the right data is delivered in an accurate, performant, and scalable manner.
As a Sr. Software Engineer, a typical day may include the following:
- Designing and building new micro-service, cloud native, systems.
- Assisting our Data Science peers to productionize our machine learning models.
- Partnering with our SRE and architectural teams to make task appropriate architectural choices.
- Improving and supporting our existing services and integrations.
- Mentoring peers on best-practices and new technologies.
First Year in Role:
By your third month, partnering with your teammates, you will have completed a couple handfuls of enhancements and feature changes. Your changes will be live in production making an impact on our consumer users and company metrics.
By your sixth month, you have completely ramped up on the team with the ability to pick up most tasks on the sprint board and complete it on your own from start to finish.
After one year at Payscale, you are fully integrated into the engineering organization and you are an authority in many of the projects, services, and processes that we own. You are mentoring your teammates, proposing designs, and offering innovative ways to deliver the best products.
- 5+ years building and supporting well architected, service based systems.
- 5+ years writing C# code.
- Experience with cloud providers (AWS, Azure) and cloud native solutions.
- Experience writing complicated SQL and an understanding of relational databases. (Data warehouse and ETL experience is a plus!)
- Success in writing understandable and testable, embracing unit and integration test concepts.
- Working with a team of people on engaging problems which often times require independent research excites you.
- Your problem solving and critical thinking skills are strong.
- You can clearly articulate technical concepts to developers, managers, and less technical colleagues.
- Kubernetes, containerization, and CI/CD knowledge is a plus.
- Experience productionizing machine learning models is a huge plus.
- We code using Python, C#, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Azure, Team City, and Octopus.
- For data warehousing and reporting, we use Snowflake and Tableau.
- For ETL and data pipelining, we use Python, Team City, AWS Lambda, and Fivetran.
- When supporting our data scientist peers, we use pandas, NumPy, R, TensorFlow, PyTorch, SpaCy, FastAPI and sklearn.
Benefits and Perks – The Highlights:
All around awesome culture where together we strive to:
- Pursue excellence every day
- Create customer value
- Compete to win (and lose!) as a team
As part of our culture of transparency and commitment to employee engagement, we have several programs and resources such as:
- Regular virtual company meetings
- Coffee chats
- Table for 4 Executive conversation
- Spirit Week
- Pulsing tools for continuous conversations to drive performance and career growth
- Strengths based tools designed to help employees engage with peers and managers, supported through a program called StandOut
- Access to top notch learning courses for all employees through LinkedIn Learning
- As well as constant re-evaluation of what our employees need to be successful at work!
Our more standard benefits include:
- Flexible Paid Time Off program – most employees average around 3 weeks per year
- 14 paid holidays including Independence Week, Juneteenth and World Mental Health Day
- 3 comprehensive health plans to fit your unique needs; plans have up to 100% company-paid premium coverage for employee Medical, Dental and Vision
- Access to Premera’s Healthcare Services including an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), 24-hour Nurse Hotline, Telehealth (Doctor on Demand), Talkspace, and other virtual care options
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Company Paid Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Paid Parental / Adoption Leave program
- 401k program with fully vested, immediate company match
Equal Opportunity Employer: We embrace equal employment opportunity.
PayScale is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. It is our policy that employees will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology and any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to: recruitment, hiring, transfers, promotions, training, discipline, termination, compensation and benefits, performance appraisals, education, and social and recreational programs.