Software Engineer II
- Cary, NC, USA
- Employees can work remotely
As the industry leader in compensation data and technology, PayScale helps organizations #getpayright. PayScale is the only technology solution for managing compensation that provides multiple streams of fresh, transparently curated and validated salary data. Combined with modeling engines that learn continuously and generate recommendations and insight, PayScale empowers HR to price jobs and adjust compensation to reflect real-time changes in the market — all on one trusted data platform. With PayScale’s Adaptive Compensation Advantage, teams operate with efficiency, focused on outcomes rather than manual data management. To learn how companies like The Washington Post, Perry Ellis International, United Healthcare and The New York Times rely on PayScale to attract and retain top talent, motivate and engage employees and plan their future workforce, visit payscale.com.
What We Do: We build web applications that help our customers set strategy and make decisions about compensation. We love data, and we love building software that makes working with data easier.
What You Do: As a member of the Enterprise Team, you will be part of a highly collaborative and motivated team building compelling, beautifully presented user experiences to support compensation decision-makers in enterprises that include many of the Fortune 1000. You will maintain strong engineering practices by writing unit and integration tests. You will collaborate with your teammates, product owners, and engineering managers to develop the feature set, schedule, and roadmap.
Day-in-the-Life: As a Software Engineer II, a typical day may include the following…
- A daily Agile standup to check-in with the team.
- Providing quality and thoughtful feedback on peer code reviews.
- A weekly pair coding session with one or more teammates to help spread knowledge, work through a solution, or debug issues.
- Every six weeks having a two-week "cool-off" period where you can choose the projects you work on, the features you want to add, or spend the time taking a class and rapidly growing your knowledge.
- Do you like asking questions, solving problems and thinking critically? You'll like it here.
First Year in Role:
- Month 3: You will have spun up on running our stack and contributed to releasing at least one new feature or feature improvement.
- Month 6: At this point, you have completely ramped up on the team with the ability to work on any incoming feature work.
- Month 12: You are fully integrated into the PayScale engineering organization and you are an authority in the projects, services, and processes that we own.
- 4+ years of experience developing and designing web applications
- Familiarity/experience with unit testing and crafting testable code
- Able to explain technical concepts to developers, product managers, and the customer service team
- Familiarity or experience with React and Redux or similar technologies.
- Experience with Node.js, REST APIs, and SQL databases.
- Ability and desire to work with a collaborative and supportive team of people solving complex problems.
- Nice-to-haves but none are vital: experience with Kubernetes, ElasticSearch, or Apache Spark.
- Our back-end code is written in Node.js, C#, SQL.
- We utilize a data layer of Postgres, ElasticSearch, and Redis
- Code is deployed to the cloud (AWS and Azure) with Jenkins using Docker / Kubernetes.
- Our work is tracked in Jira, and our git repositories are in Bitbucket.
Benefits & Perks – The Highlights:
All around awesome culture where together we strive to:
- Pursue excellence every day
- Create customer value
- Compete to win (and lose!) as a team
As part of our culture of transparency and commitment to employee engagement, we have several programs and resources such as:
- Regular virtual company meetings
- Coffee chats
- Table for 4 Executive conversation
- Spirit Week
- Pulsing tools for continuous conversations to drive performance and career growth
- Strengths based tools designed to help employees engage with peers and managers, supported through a program called StandOut
- Access to top notch learning courses for all employees through LinkedIn Learning
- As well as constant re-evaluation of what our employees need to be successful at work!
Our more standard benefits include:
- Flexible Paid Time Off program – most employees average around 3 weeks per year
- 14 paid holidays including Independence Week, Juneteenth and World Mental Health Day
- 3 comprehensive health plans to fit your unique needs; plans have up to 100% company-paid premium coverage for employee Medical, Dental and Vision
- Access to Premera’s Healthcare Services including an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), 24-hour Nurse Hotline, Telehealth (Doctor on Demand), Talkspace, and other virtual care options
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Company Paid Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Paid Parental / Adoption Leave program
- 401k program with fully vested, immediate company match
Equal Opportunity Employer: We embrace equal employment opportunity.
PayScale is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. It is our policy that employees will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology and any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to: recruitment, hiring, transfers, promotions, training, discipline, termination, compensation and benefits, performance appraisals, education, and social and recreational programs.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.