Data Science Manager
- Boston, MA, USA
PayScale is the world leader in modern compensation software. Our rich data and unique algorithms power the world’s largest real-time database of salary profiles, giving both employers and employees immediate visibility into the right pay for any position. We are bringing the dark art of compensation into the light by helping more than 6,500 businesses to stay competitive in the labor market and retain and manage their largest investment: their people.
We’re disrupting the compensation industry and are looking to bring on talented professionals with diverse perspectives. We foster a playful work atmosphere where highly motivated individuals can be truly innovative. Are you bright, tenacious, and inventive? If so, PayScale may be the perfect place for you to grow your career!
We are a fast-growing Warburg Pincus portfolio company who is thrilled to have brought the MarketPay product into our suite of offerings in 2016, and started a strategic alliance with Mercer in 2017. We can't wait for you to join us!
Does the opportunity to work with a truly unique compensation dataset that comprises nearly a third of the U.S. working population excite you? What about working on important issues like pay equity?
The Data Science team at Payscale works on a variety of different machine learning problems that have a direct impact on people's lives by improving compensation practices. We are a small team working on high impact projects that drive innovation in our customer facing products and across the organization. The Data Science team partners closely with data engineers, product managers, and other internal stakeholders to design and develop the machine learning applications that power our compensation tools. In this role you will be leading a team of data scientists and data analysts focused on building and improving algorithms around salary prediction, natural language processing, recommendations/search systems, client retention, and lead scoring.
What You'll Be Doing
- Bring your deep knowledge of Data Science and Machine learning to help the team plan and execute on building/training machine learning models while managing the expectations of your stakeholders against the needs of the business and customer
- Work with key partners across the organization to help inform prioritization and strategy and identify how to maximize the value of our products with data.
- Collaborate with Data Engineering teams to productionalize and deploy machine learning models into scalable services
- Advocate for solid data collection practices with reliable maintainable code that can generate a complete and statistically reliable global data set of jobs and compensation amounts.
- Hands-on leader of team that iteratively design, code, train, test, deploy, and improve machine learning algorithms
- People manager with ability to be hands on as needed
- Practice organizational efficiency to maintain reasonable workload and work-life balance for the team.
- Provide mentorship to help progress team in careers.
- Work in an agile development environment; maintaining a backlog, building out sprints and coordinating work through a JIRA board
- Help to expand the team’s capacity over time through training and hiring to meet greater demands for more data science models across the entire product portfolio.
- If you enjoy seeing a project all the way from concept to production this is an excellent opportunity within a collaborative SaaS company.
- Technologies We're Using
- Python (pandas, scikit-learn, NumPy, SpaCy), SQL, Tensorflow, Snowflake, Postgres, Azure, AWS, Git, and Docker
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- You have 4+ years experience building machine learning models/services
- You have 2+ years experience as a people manager or related leadership experience
- You have 2+ years working in a SaaS or Enterprise software environment
- You have experience completing data science projects through the entire lifecycle, from inception to production.
- You are thoughtful in the evaluation of your models, improving them over time as they interact with real users
- You can effectively communicate and demonstrate the value of the Data Science team and their accomplishments to anyone in the company—from executive leadership to product and engineering teams
- You have excellent coding skills, especially in Python or R
- You have a working understanding of database systems and experience writing SQL queries.
- You care about the reliability and maintainability of your code.
- Familiarity/experience with unit testing and crafting testable code.
- You have some experience with cloud providers (AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud).
- Prior experience working with compensation/HRIS/Payroll data sets is a plus
- Prior experience with PII (personally identifiable information) data is a plus
- HackDay Events with the entire tech org
- Dedicated time for learning and access to LinkedIn Learning
Benefits and Perks – The Highlights:
All around awesome culture where together we strive to:
- Pursue excellence every day
- Create customer value
- Compete to win (and lose!) as a team
As part of our culture of transparency and commitment to employee engagement, we have several programs and resources such as:
- Regular virtual company meetings
- Coffee chats
- Table for 4 Executive conversation
- Spirit Week
- Pulsing tools for continuous conversations to drive performance and career growth
- Strengths based tools designed to help employees engage with peers and managers, supported through a program called StandOut
- Access to top notch learning courses for all employees through LinkedIn Learning
- As well as constant re-evaluation of what our employees need to be successful at work!
Our more standard benefits include:
- Flexible Paid Time Off program – most employees average around 3 weeks per year
- 14 paid holidays including Independence Week, Juneteenth and World Mental Health Day
- 3 comprehensive health plans to fit your unique needs; plans have up to 100% company-paid premium coverage for employee Medical, Dental and Vision
- Access to Premera’s Healthcare Services including an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), 24-hour Nurse Hotline, Telehealth (Doctor on Demand), Talkspace, and other virtual care options
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Company Paid Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, and Life Insurance
- Comprehensive Paid Parental / Adoption Leave program
- 401k program with fully vested, immediate company match
Equal Opportunity Employer: We embrace equal employment opportunity.
PayScale is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. It is our policy that employees will not be subjected to unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran or military status, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology and any other basis protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to: recruitment, hiring, transfers, promotions, training, discipline, termination, compensation and benefits, performance appraisals, education, and social and recreational programs.