Director, Software Engineering
- Seattle, WA, USA
Paying the right way, getting paid what you’re worth — it’s complicated, and it matters. Compensation used to be a dark art. Not anymore. PayScale helps employers and their employees understand the right pay for every position and effectively communicate about compensation.
PayScale pioneered the use of rich data and unique matching algorithms to power the world’s most advanced compensation platform and continues to be the compensation market leader, featured in G2 Crowd's 100 Best Software Companies for 2018, based on user reviews.
Do you want to make a huge impact while working on hard technical problems? If so we look forward to talking with you! The leader in this role will manage a growing agile software development team that builds our platform and applications. The PayScale platform ingests crowdsourced data from visitors to payscale.com, as well as company-sourced data from B2B customers and compensation survey data from third-party providers. Data is ingested through a variety of means, including third-party API integrations as well as friendly consumer-facing and B2B web user interfaces. Data science and machine learning algorithms operate on the platform to build models for matching company jobs to the market and for making pay recommendations. Applications on our platform include PayScale Team which enables people managers to make better decisions and communicate with employees about pay.
What You'll Do
- As a people manager, you will recruit, encourage, mentor, and coach agile teams to deliver quality software and grow in their careers. You will meet for regular one-on-ones to provide feedback and optimize performance, and identify and groom engineering leaders.
- Unblock your teams and keep things moving through technical mentorship, helping them connect with the people and resources that can help, and leading changes to architecture, tools, processes and the organization itself to make engineering more efficient and effective.
- Promote technical vitality of engineering teams by recommending conference and training opportunities, helping to coordinate team events like quarterly hack days, and facilitating sharing across teams.
- Serve as a technical conscience, partnering with DevOps and Security teams, to ensure customer data is secure, applications have robust monitoring and disaster recovery, and technical debt is paid down in a responsible manner.
- Work closely with product managers to influence the product roadmap, ensure alignment between engineering and other teams, and balance technology initiatives with business priorities across teams.
- 6+ years experience in a management or team lead role.
- 8+ years experience developing and designing software, preferably multi-tenant SAAS.
- Experience with C# or other OOP languages.
- Experience launching high performance and scalable services and applications into cloud platforms.
- Working knowledge of relational and no-SQL databases.
- Familiarity/experience with unit testing and crafting testable code.
- Able to explain technical concepts to developers, project managers, and technical managers.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
Technologies We're Using
- Back end REST APIs using C#, Python and Typescript.
- Front end using React.
- Data layer includes SQL databases, Spark, Elasticsearch, Redis and Snowflake.
- We use Azure and AWS services including event hub, functions, blob storage, databases and more.
- We build and deploy to containers (Docker and Kubernetes) using TeamCity and Octopus for build and deploy pipeline.
- Jira and Bitbucket.
Benefits & Perks – The Highlights:
- Flexible Paid Time Off policy
- 10 paid holidays AND Summer office closure the entire week of July 4th
- Excellent Medical/Vision/Dental/Prescription coverage: 100% company-paid premiums for employees; 50% for eligible partners and dependents
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards: Medical, Dependent Care, Parking, and Transit
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Maternity and Paternity Leave, and onsite Mother’s Room
- 401k which vests immediately, complete with company match
- Onsite bike storage, lockers, showers, and clothes dryer
- Ergo friendly chairs and sitting-standing desks
- Company-hosted happy hours
- Fido Fridays (our canine colleagues join us the first Friday of every month. WOOF!)
Equal Opportunity Employer: PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.