Software Engineer, Dev Ops and Site Reliability
- Cary, NC, USA
PayScale is the world leader in modern compensation software. Our rich data and unique algorithms power the world’s largest real-time database of salary profiles giving both employers and employees immediate visibility into the right pay for any position. We believe that transparent, fact-based relationships between companies and employees will generate the best outcomes, enabling both to thrive.
We are disrupting the compensation industry and are looking to bring on team members with diverse perspectives. We foster a playful work atmosphere where highly motivated individuals can be truly creative. Are you curious, tenacious, and inventive? If so, PayScale may be the perfect place for you to grow your career.
About the Team and Role:
The DevOps and Site Reliability team partners with IT, application development teams and other stakeholders to ensure reliability and performance of PayScale applications. We create CI/CD and automation solutions using TeamCity and Jenkins; we containerize using Docker and Kubernetes; we monitor and alert using tools like DataDog; we automate everything using scripting languages; we implement robust, automated Disaster Recovery solutions; and we are moving everything into highly secure environments in the cloud. In this role, you will collaborate with application teams to define and lead initiatives in these areas to support flawless production deployments and maximum uptime.
We delight our customers with great experiences. To that end, you will take ownership of operational issues, debug and research to find root causes, and experiment and test to find and deliver timely solutions.
You will also engage in strategic operational projects around disaster recovery, SOC controls, security audits, migration to cloud services, Kubernetes, architectural refactoring, performance improvements, etc.
Technologies we use:
- Data layer: PostgreSQL, Azure SQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, Spark, Kafka/ASB
- Tools: Jenkins, TeamCity, DataDog, Sentry.io
- Environments: Linux (Azure and AWS)
- Container ecosystems: Docker, Kubernetes (AKS)
- Load balancers: ELB, ALB, Nginx
What You'll Need:
- You have a background in: builds, deployments, monitoring, automation, testing.
- You have 2+ years of professional development experience in a cloud environment.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Working knowledge of SQL and SQL databases.
- You can explain technical concepts to developers, project managers, and technical managers.
- Ability and desire to team up with others, solving complex problems that often require independent research with minimal supervision.
- Enthusiasm for making quality a core value for the team.
We are committed to providing a true work-life balance and we offer competitive vacation and flex time to support that. We work hard, but still want coworkers to be able to have interesting lives outside of the office.
We maintain a supportive, inclusive, and laid-back work environment, because stress is the enemy of creativity.
We have a broad mix of optional-but-encouraged fun company activities available: hack days, holiday parties, family picnics, fun trips, Halloween costume contests, and more!
We believe we are the ideal company for somebody who wants to avoid the bureaucracy that comes with huge organizations and the risk and stressful work hours of tiny startups. Here, your ideas are valued, your brain is challenged, your voice is heard, and your work has an immediate impact.
Equal Opportunity Employer: PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off policy
- 100% company paid medical/vision/dental/prescription premiums for employees (50% for eligible dependents and partners)
- Four Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options for pre-tax employee allocations towards:
- Dependent Care (can be used towards day care costs!)
- Long Term Disability, Short Term Disability, and Company-paid Life Insurance
- Maternity and Paternity Leave
- 10 paid holidays!
- Summer office closure, entire week of July 4th
- 401k with company match, vests immediately
- Casual dress code
- Onsite shower
- Greenway trail access
- Coworkers you actually like
- Sitting-Standing ergo friendly desks
- Company sponsored happy hours