Parker Wellbore helps energy companies accomplish their drilling and production goals efficiently, reliably, and safely. Our global team supports oil and gas operators with innovative land and offshore drilling services, premium rental tools and well services, and advanced operations and management support. Founded in 1934, Parker Wellbore helps customers manage their costs and mitigate their risks, to achieve their operational goals in a safe and efficient manner. With experience in both harsh-environment regions and complex drilling situations, you can trust Parker Wellbore to get the job done.
The Rig Manager is responsible to ensure that drilling schedules are achieved in compliance with company guidelines, policies and procedures. The position liaises with client representatives and rig site leadership to achieve operational objectives and milestones. The position is responsible for all operations and departments involved with the drilling and completion of the well. Also, to ensure that all work is performed safety, efficiently and according to procedure. This position is responsible for all operations, including but not limited to, hoisting, circulating, rotating, running casing, cementing or well control. The Rig Manager I takes total ownership of all operations, departments and personnel pertaining to the drilling and completion of the well.
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standards.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of drilling crew as well as efficient operations.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Support and assist onsite HSE Advisor for implementing rig site surveys, safety evaluations and hazard identification (hazard hunts).
- Collaborate with HSE Advisor to ensure personnel training matrix is updated and kept current.
- Follow the client’s daily drilling plans.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Ensure crews achieve Company and client competency standards.
- Train and supervise crew members on standard operating procedures to include, but not limited to, proper care and maintenance of the rig and drill string, including lubrication of equipment and housekeeping.
- Delegate work effectively with a clear definition of requirements and expectations.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Ensure Authorized To Operate (ATO) and Approved Competent Operator (ACO) are applied and followed.
- Maintain records and certifications of all drill pipe, subs and tools.
- Maintain records and certifications of all BOPE.
- Ensure that Company preventive maintenance procedures are implemented and observed.
- Ensure that sling/lifting gear register is current and certifications valid, preform periodic inspections to ensure lifting gear is in good condition
- Responsible for periodic scheduled rig inspections and filing of all pertinent reports.
- Collaborate with client drilling representative and coordinate with drill crew to accomplish optimum desired drilling conditions.
- Monitors and reviews the tracking of rotating hours on tubular/BHA/Tools.
- Collaborates with vendors and service personnel to ensure a smooth transition for scheduled operational changes.
- Ensure performance of daily checks on Well control equipment; FOSV, Kelly cock valve, IBOP, Koomey, etc.
- Ensure rig crews’ competencies are developed and sufficient to perform their duties and responsibilities.
- Manage daily rig activities to include but not limited to drilling operations, HSE concerns, supply chain support, scheduling of maintenance and personnel issues.
- Ensure all rig operations are carried out in compliance with policies and procedures while adhering to any state and/or federal regulations.
- Ensure rig staffing levels are maintained appropriately to ensure project is completed safely and efficiently.
- Attend and actively participate to contribute knowledge, guidance and recommendations at all safety, operational, or leadership meetings.
- Monitor critical inventories and coordinate with supply chain personnel to ensure that equipment, parts and materials are received appropriately.
- Ensure that scheduled preventative maintenance is completely proficiently in order to minimize operational downtime.
- Responsible for periodic scheduled rig inspections and filing of all pertinent reports.
- Comply with platform emergency response plan or station bills during emergencies and/or drills.
- Provide guidance and support to drill crew and third party personnel when installing rig specific equipment, including but not limited to casing, cementing, wire line and completion equipment.
- Ensures that rig crew personnel are proficient in responding to well control situations.
- Maintain and disseminate information on rig equipment and drill string performance or failures.
- Collaborate with warehouse/materialman to ensure parts, materials and rig equipment are delivered proficiently
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various rig equipment.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various tubular sizes and thread types.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger’s role to ensure safe lifting operations are performed.
- Knowledgeable of mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Must have the capacity to work effectively under pressure in ambiguous and complex situations.
Can demonstrate knowledge and be able to function the following equipment:
- Diverter, Well head, BOP and associated control equipment
- Automated pipe handling equipment
- Drilling control and safety systems
- Anti-collision surface equipment systems
Can demonstrate knowledge and execution of the following operations:
- Drilling and well operations
- Well integrity and well control
- Dropped objects prevention
- zone of fire, zone of exclusion and safe zone operations
- Pipe measurement, number, strapping and tallying of pipes
- Tripping and back reaming
- Running casing and completions
- Troubleshooting downhole problems and equipment failures.
- Should have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate in English with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, common sense and the ability to follow directions.
- Must possess basic mathematical skills (equivalent to a high school education) and be proficient in rig math.
Education, experience, and certifications:
- High School diploma is required.
- Must be able to obtain appropriate offshore or, onshore certifications
- Should have at least 5 years of work experience pertaining to drilling.
- Should have at least 3 years of supervisory experience. Multi languague preferred as this position could be based in various countries.
Additional qualifications, skills and abilities
- Intercultural Awareness
- Business Acumen
- Building Effective Teams
Physical demands and work environment
- Oversee and manage the overall quality of projects and/or employee performance.
- Ability to gather, analyze, and interpret data.
- Ability to work around moving machinery
- Ability to perform under stress, under pressure, and/or in emergency situations.
- Lift, carry, and move objects of up to 50 pounds.
- Operate machinery and/or power tools.
- Ability to walk on uneven ground (gravel, rocks, mounds, ice)
- Wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel-toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness.
- Frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull, reach, and use repetitive wrist and hand movements.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and/or ramps while carrying tools requiring a reasonable degree of physical stamina and agility and involving moderate to severe physical exertion
- Operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions (Cold or Heat)
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, reason logically, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures and standard.
- Ability to work in hazardous conditions (dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals)
- Ability to work at heights (scaffolding or ladders)
- Exposure to vibration (oscillating movements of the extremities or whole body)
- Ability to work in noisy environments
- Ability to work in small and/or enclosed spaces
- Ability to work as a team, communicate and interact with others in a professional manner, and consider alternative and diverse perspectives.
Consistent with the Accords Act, residents of Newfoundland and Labrador specifically and Canada generally, who are qualified, will be given first consideration for employment.
Parker Wellbore provides equal opportunity for all people and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic information, military service, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If an applicant has a disability, the applicant may request accommodations when needed to enable that person to perform their essential job functions or to allow that person to participate in employment.