Parker Wellbore helps energy companies accomplish their drilling and production goals efficiently, reliably, and safely. Our global team supports oil and gas operators with innovative land and offshore drilling services, premium rental tools and well services, and advanced operations and management support. Founded in 1934, Parker Wellbore helps customers manage their costs and mitigate their risks, to achieve their operational goals in a safe and efficient manner. With experience in both harsh-environment regions and complex drilling situations, you can trust Parker Wellbore to get the job done.
The Roustabout is a rig crew member whose primary work station is on the drilling decks assisting with crane work/deck activities; however the duties and responsibilities are prominent in every aspect of drilling the well, manual handling of tubular and tools, making up or breaking out during making connections or tripping pipe. The position is responsible for the processes of rigging up/down, drilling, and completing the well. Also, maintaining the circulating, rotating, hoisting and well control systems.
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standards.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Follow the client’s daily drilling/lift plans.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Ensure Authorized to Operate (ATO) and Approved Competent Operator (ACO) are applied and followed.
- Install and remove rigging during crane activities, including slings, shackles and spreader beams.
- Work with the platform deck crane activities as instructed by the crane operator.
- Work with the pipe deck gantry cranes as instructed by the crane operator.
- Off loads and loads supply boats of any equipment necessary for platform operations.
- Work with the pipe deck gantry crane operator to assist with loading and unloading of catwalk.
- Transfer material and equipment as required, anywhere on the platform.
- Strap and measures tubular and tools.
- Clean and drifts tubular and any tools required during the processes of drilling or completing the well.
- Prepare tubular, tools, and equipment prior to transporting to the rig floor.
- Respond to any spill and assists with containment and clean up.
- Relieve Floorman on the rig floor.
- Perform pipe tripping operations (consists of using slips, safety clamps tongs and elevators).
- Perform break out and make up connections during drilling, back reaming or tripping operations (consists of using slips, safety clamps tongs and elevators).
- Operate and maintain the rig floor mud bucket.
- Perform general maintenance of drilling equipment pertaining to the drilling of the well, including the circulating, rotating, hoisting and well control systems.
- Perform safe operation of the rig floor hydraulic winches and man rider winch.
- Inspect snub lines, jerk lines, shackles and cable clamps to ensure they are always in good working condition.
- Inspect and check dies in slips, tongs (and elevators if applicable) to ensure they are always in good working condition.
- Inspect and check all rig floor safety belts to ensure they are always in good working condition.
- Assemble well-control or pressure-control equipment on the wellhead.
- Perform mud pump repairs and general pump maintenance, including disassemble, reassemble or oil change and filters.
- Mix mud materials and chemicals as required.
- Perform loading and unloading of tubular from the catwalk, including attaching and removing of lifting equipment or elevators as required.
- Perform housekeeping and cleanliness around the rig floor working area.
- Perform alignment of stand pipe manifolds and bleed off lines.
- Clean the mast and substructure with a high-pressure steam cleaning unit.
- Perform scrubbing and cleaning of rig equipment and drilling packages as required with rig wash.
- Perform chipping and painting on drilling packages and equipment as required.
- Comply with platform emergency response plan or station bills during emergencies and/or drills. Use respective PPE practically while working at heights; Provide the first-aid treatment to injured persons at works at heights; By order of the immediate supervisor, performs work corresponding to the complexity of their execution by lower-skilled workers; Due to operational need, can be assigned to perform duties of below mentioned roles during working hours: Workover Assistant Driller 4th grade; Slinger of the 6th grade; The manlift operator; Forklift Driver 3rd grade.
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various rig equipment.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various tubular sizes and thread types.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger’s role to ensure safe lifting operations are performed.
- Knowledgeable of mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Knowledgeable of and capable of operating Rig floor and cellar equipment as required.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and execution of the following operations: o Drilling and well operations o Dropped objects prevention o Line of fire, zone of exclusion and safe zone operations o Pipe measurement, number, strapping and tallying of pipes o Tripping and back reaming o Running casing and completions
- Have good verbal communication skills
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, common sense and the ability to follow directions.
- Should possess basic mathematical skills (equivalent to a high school education).
- Education, experience, and certifications: o High School diploma is required o Must be able to obtain appropriate offshore or, onshore certifications o Previous experience in the oil industry is preferred.
- Initiating & Driving Change
- Result Focused
- Team Work
- Customer Focus
Physical demands and work environment
- Ability to work around moving machinery
- Lift, carry, and move objects of up to 50 pounds.
- Operate machinery and/or power tools.
- Ability to walk on uneven ground (gravel, rocks, mounds, ice)
- Wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel-toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness.
- Frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull, reach, and use repetitive wrist and hand movements.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and/or ramps while carrying tools requiring a reasonable degree of physical stamina and agility and involving moderate to severe physical exertion
- Operate motor vehicles and/or heavy equipment.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions (Cold or Heat)
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, reason logically, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures and standard.
- Ability to work in hazardous conditions (dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals)
- Ability to work at heights (scaffolding or ladders)
- Exposure to vibration (oscillating movements of the extremities or whole body)
- Ability to work in noisy environments
- Ability to work in small and/or enclosed spaces
- Ability to work as a team, communicate and interact with others in a professional manner, and consider alternative and diverse perspectives.
Parker Wellbore provides equal opportunity for all people and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic information, military service, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If an applicant has a disability, the applicant may request accommodations when needed to enable that person to perform their essential job functions or to allow that person to participate in employment.