Floorhand - (Anchorage, AK)
Parker Wellbore helps energy companies accomplish their drilling and production goals efficiently, reliably, and safely. Our global team supports oil and gas operators with innovative land and offshore drilling services, premium rental tools and well services, and advanced operations and management support. Founded in 1934, Parker Wellbore helps customers manage their costs and mitigate their risks, to achieve their operational goals in a safe and efficient manner. With experience in both harsh-environment regions and complex drilling situations, you can trust Parker Wellbore to get the job done.
The Floorhand position is a rig crew member whose primary work station is on the rig floor, however the duties and responsibilities are prominent in every aspect of drilling the well, manual handling of tubular and tools, making up or breaking out during making connections or tripping pipe. The position is responsible for the processes of rigging up/down, drilling and completing the well. Also, maintaining circulating, rotating, hoisting and well control systems.
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standard.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of drilling crew as well as efficient operations during tour of duty.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Follow the client’s daily drilling plans.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Ensure crews achieve Company and client competency standards.
- Train and supervise crew members on standard operating procedures to include, but not limited to, proper care and maintenance of the rig and drill string, including lubrication of equipment and housekeeping.
- Delegate work effectively with a clear definition of requirements and expectations.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Ensure Parker Drilling’s Competency program – Authorized to Operate (ATO) and Approved Competent Operator (ACO) are applied and followed.
- Ensure Client competency compliance is applied and followed.
- Straps and measures tubular, casing and tools as required.
- Performs pipe tripping operations (consists of using slips, safety clamps tongs and elevators).
- Performs break out and make up connections during drilling, back reaming or tripping operations (consists of using slips, safety clamps tongs and elevators).
- Operates and maintains the rig floor mud bucket.
- Performs general maintenance of drilling equipment pertaining to the drilling of the well, including the circulating, rotating, hoisting and well control systems.
- Performs safe operation of the rig floor hydraulic winches and man rider winch.
- Inspect snub lines, jerk lines, shackles and cable clamps to ensure they are always in good working condition.
- Inspect and check dies in slips, tongs (and elevators if applicable) to ensure they are always in good
- working condition.
- Inspect and check all rig floor safety belts to ensure they are always in good working condition.
- Assemble well-control or pressure-control equipment on the wellhead.
- Lines up valves, hoses, hard piping for fluid transfer to and from support vessels.
- Performs mud pump repairs and general pump maintenance, including disassemble, reassemble or oil change and filters.
- Mixes mud materials and chemicals as required.
- Performs loading and unloading of tubular from the catwalk, including attaching and removing of lifting equipment or elevators.as required.
- Performs housekeeping and cleanliness around the rig floor working area.
- Performs alignment of stand pipe manifolds and bleed off lines.
- Cleans the mast and substructure with a high-pressure steam cleaning unit.
- Performs scrubbing and cleaning of rig equipment and drilling packages as required with rig wash.
- Performs chipping and painting on drilling packages and equipment as required.
- Comply with platform emergency response plan or station bills during emergencies and/or drills.
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various rig equipment.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various tubular sizes and thread types.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger’s role to ensure safe lifting operations are performed.
- Knowledgeable of mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Knowledgeable of and capable of operating forklifts, gantry cranes, tubular shuttles as required.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and execution of the following operations: o Drilling and well operations o Dropped objects prevention o Line of fire, zone of exclusion and safe zone operations o Pipe measurement, number, strapping and tallying of pipes o Tripping and back reaming o Running casing and completions
- Must have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate in English with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, common sense and the ability to follow directions.
- Must possess basic mathematical skills (equivalent to a high school education).
- Education, experience, and certifications: o High School diploma is required o Must be able to obtain appropriate Offshore or, Onshore certifications o Should have at least 2 years of work experience.
- Initiating & Driving Change
- Result Focused
- Team Work
- Customer Focus
Physical demands and work environment
- Ability to work around moving machinery
- Ability to perform under stress, under pressure, and/or in emergency situations.
- Lift, carry, and move objects of up to 50 pounds.
- Operate machinery and/or power tools.
- Ability to walk on uneven ground (gravel, rocks, mounds, ice)
- Wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel-toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness.
- Frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull, reach, and use repetitive wrist and hand movements.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and/or ramps while carrying tools requiring a reasonable degree of physical stamina and agility and involving moderate to severe physical exertion
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions (Cold or Heat)
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, reason logically, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures and standard.
- Ability to work in hazardous conditions (dust/gas/fumes/steam/chemicals)
- Ability to work at heights (scaffolding or ladders)
- Exposure to vibration (oscillating movements of the extremities or whole body)
- Ability to work in noisy environments
- Ability to work in small and/or enclosed spaces
- Ability to work as a team, communicate and interact with others in a professional manner, and consider alternative and diverse perspectives.
Parker Wellbore provides equal opportunity for all people and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic information, military service, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If an applicant has a disability, the applicant may request accommodations when needed to enable that person to perform their essential job functions or to allow that person to participate in employment.