Internal Controls Specialist - Senior
- 5 Greenway Plaza, Suite 100, Houston, TX
This position is responsible for assisting the Assistant Controller and Corporate Controller and conducting documentation testing to verify compliance with the controls described in risk control matrices and narratives according to the requirements of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act (SOX).
- Ensure the promotion and awareness of responsibility and accountability principles as related to internal controls throughout the Company.
- Ensure the integrity of the Company’s internal control documentation, and the systems used to generate the documentation, to include, but not limited to, narratives, control descriptions, risk control matrices, test and interview process owners to understand and evaluate internal control design.
- Plan and execute testing activities aimed at identifying gaps between the documented procedures and the Company’s current practices.
- Determine the effectiveness of control structure through testing. (i.e. document, summarize, and discuss results with process owners to reach an agreement on management’s responses.)
- Serve as a liaison and assist the Assistant Controller and Corporate Controller during the annual internal and external audits.
- Adhere to all Company policies and procedures. Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Ensure that personal behaviors and work practices are in line with Company safety standards.
- Responsible for the safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, vendors, and guests.
- Provide visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk.
- Do not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively work with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk.
- Ensure all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company procedure. As needed, seek advice from HSE representative.
Necessary Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, or Finance is required.
- Should have at least 6 years of work experience with a proficient understanding of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act origin, purpose, and requirements.
- CPA or CIA certification is preferred.
- Must have knowledge of standard auditing practices and procedures and the ability to apply them.
- Must have excellent PC skills to include all MS Office products.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be able to present oneself in a professional manner. Being multi-lingual is a plus.
- Must be able/willing to travel internationally.
- Must be detailed, organized and task oriented to manage rapid growth and increasing demand for information and results.
- Must have strong analytical skills and be able to work independently and make complex decisions while keeping the department’s and Company’s philosophies and goals in mind.
- Initiating & Driving Change • Acts as a catalyst for and takes responsibility for leading, directing, and managing organizational change • Develops new insights into situations and applies innovative solutions • Creates work environment that encourages creative thinking and innovation • Drives step changes in how the company operates • Understands how to change and addresses not only systems and processes, but also cultural aspects of change • Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market • Develops a change strategy that includes milestones and timelines • Accurately assesses the potential barriers and resources necessary for change initiatives • Understands and supports the need for change • Envisions and articulates the intended result of the change process • Provides direction and focus during the change process • Helps to generate support of the changes throughout the organization • Identifies and enlists allies who support the change process • Provides resources, removes barriers, and acts as an advocate for those initiating change
- Result Focused • Establishes clear, specific performance goals, expectations, and priorities • Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully • Is constantly and consistently one of the top performers • Very bottom-line oriented • Steadfastly pushes self and others for results • Navigates quickly and effectively to resolve problems and obstacles • Persists to complete tasks / responsibilities, even in the face of difficulties • Develops a sense of urgency in others to complete tasks • Operates with personal ownership and looks for ways to improve performance all the time • Challenges him- or herself and others to raise the bar on performance • Focuses people on critical activities that yield a high impact • Holds self and others accountable for delivering high-quality results on time and within budget (e.g., models high work standards and demands the same from others)
- Team Work • Blends people into teams when they are needed • Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team • Shares wins and successes • Fosters open dialogue • Lets people finish and be responsible for their work • Seeks consensus among diverse viewpoints as a means of building group commitment • Defines success in terms of the whole team • Creates a feeling of belonging in the team • Values the contributions of all team members • Creates an environment that encourages open communication amongst team members • Creates an environment that encourages collective problem solving amongst team members
- Customer Focus • Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers • Gets first-hand customer information and uses it to understand customers' business issues and needs for improvements in products and services • Acts with the customer in mind • Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect • Genuinely enjoys working with customers to build long-term partnerships • Creates a sense of customer focus throughout their team/ department/ business unit
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Ability to gather, analyze, and interpret data.
- N/A - Not Applicable
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, reason logically, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures, and standards.
- Sit/stand while performing primarily sedentary work
- Use repetitive wrist, hand, or finger movements at a computer.
- Ability to work as a team, communicate and interact with others in a professional manner, and consider alternative and diverse perspectives.
Parker Drilling corporate headquarter employees are not required to obtain a vaccine against COVID-19, except as a pre-condition to physically working in the corporate office. Please note this position will be required to work in the corporate office at least some of the time. Proof of vaccination will be verified during the onboarding process, and Parker Drilling will not maintain vaccination records. As required by applicable law, Parker will provide reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with disabilities, for the known religious practices of all qualified individuals, and on any other basis as required by state or federal law. Any applicant who believes he or she requires an accommodation should contact the Human Resources Department and request such an accommodation, including what type of accommodation needed in order to perform the essential functions of the job. We will work together to determine if a reasonable accommodation is available. All accommodation requests will be treated as confidential.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Parker Drilling provides equal opportunity for all people and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic information, military service, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If an applicant has a disability, the applicant may request accommodations when needed to enable that person to perform their essential job functions or to allow that person to participate in employment.