Senior Principal Engineer – Automation / Data Science
- 5 Greenway Plaza, Suite 100, Houston, TX
This position provides engineering and technical support for the Company’s technology development group. This support includes design and analysis for New Product Development and Sustaining Product Development as well as related project management. The opportunity is a 1st principles based engineering position. The primary responsibilities of this position are to develop innovative technology products that automate manual processes related to wellbore construction, develop digital software tools to optimize the drilling process and monitor equipment health.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS include the following:
- Engineer products from concept through detailed design in support of the innovation and technology development program with specific focus on digital products and automation.
- Design, evaluate, and qualify new equipment and methodology for commercialization utilizing agile-stage-gate process.
- Develop software for control, simulation, and real-time monitoring of oil and gas operations.
- Develop physics-based software models
- Develop work plans, schedules, and write and review project requirements.
- Develop system and product design information and formulate models and simulations to represent their performance.
- Evaluate user feedback of products for design improvements and enhancements.
- Provide engineering and technical support to other departments as required.
- Assist in development of product requirements, specifications, procedures, and standards
- Development of project work scopes, cost and scheduling for projects.
- Develop, review, and participate in design FMEA and FMECA studies.
- Ensure designs are executed within budget and as scheduled.
- Create conceptual, preliminary and detailed designs of control systems.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
POSITION SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree or related discipline is required. An advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) is required. A PhD is preferred.
Should have at least 10 years of automation and controls design experience, preferably with drilling automation.
Should have at least 10 years of software development, and data science and analytics experience.
Must be proficient with programming industrial controls including PLCs and SBCs and high level languages such as C++
Must be proficient with programming with R and/or Python, related data science packages, and visualization tools such as Tableau
Have a working knowledge of drilling and well control equipment.
Have extensive knowledge of drilling control systems.
Have extensive knowledge of the drilling process and related engineering
Must be a detail oriented, self-starter and able to work with little supervision while maintaining goals/tasks.
Must have excellent PC skills to include MS Office products.
Must have good written and verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate with staff, management, customers and vendors.
Must possess sound reasoning skills and have the ability to follow directions.
The physical and mental demands must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Sit/stand while performing primarily sedentary work; Use repetitive wrist, hand, or finger movements at a computer;
- Carry up to 10 lbs;
- Communicate with others in a clear and professional manner both orally and in writing to exchange information;
- Work as an integral part of a team with the ability to also work independently;
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining both perspective and professional demeanor;
- Work in a fast-paced professional environment while sustaining attention with distractions and/or interruptions.
This position will typically work in a climate-controlled building in the Houston Texas Office.
- Ensure personal behavior and work practices are in line with Company safety standards
- Responsible for safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, suppliers, and guests
- Provide visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk
- Do not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively work with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk
- Ensure all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company procedure
- As needed, seek advice from HSE representative