Senior Engineer – Mechanical
- 5 Greenway Plaza, Suite 100, Houston, TX
This position provides engineering and technical support for the Company’s technology development group. This support includes design and analysis for New Product Development and Sustaining Product Development as well as related project management. The opportunity is a 1st principles based engineering position.
- Engineer products from concept through detailed design in support of the innovation and technology development program.
- Develop system and product design information and formulate models and simulations to represent their performance.
- Implement design improvements and enhancements based on user evaluation.
- Provide engineering and technical support to other departments as required.
- Assist in development of product requirements, specifications, procedures, and standards
- Development of project work scopes, cost and scheduling for projects.
- Participate in design FMEA and FMECA studies.
- Serves as project engineer on moderate and/or complex projects.
- Ensure designs are executed within budget and as scheduled.
- Create conceptual, preliminary and detailed designs with hand sketches, AutoCAD drawings or 3D computer models.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering degree is required. A PE or EIT is preferred but not required.
- Have at least 8 years of engineering work experience.
- Must be proficient in AutoCAD, Inventor or other 3D CAD design software.
- Have extensive knowledge of drilling and well control systems such as BOP, topdrive, drawworks, iron roughneck, mud system, pipe racking system, and others.
- Have a working knowledge of downhole oil tools
- Have knowledge of the codes and standards in ASME, ASTM, API, and AWS.
- Have a working knowledge of AutoCAD, Inventor or SolidWorks, or other 3D CAD software.
- Have a working knowledge of static and dynamic systems, materials science, and mechanical design (preferable with downhole oil tools or related products)
- Ability to perform mechanical and structural analysis using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) software
- Must be a detail oriented, self-starter and able to work with little supervision while maintaining goals/tasks.
- Must have excellent PC skills to include MS Office products.
- Initiating & Driving Change • Acts as a catalyst for and takes responsibility for leading, directing, and managing organizational change • Develops new insights into situations and applies innovative solutions • Creates work environment that encourages creative thinking and innovation • Drives step changes in how the company operates • Understands how to change and addresses not only systems and processes, but also cultural aspects of change • Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market • Develops a change strategy that includes milestones and timelines • Accurately assesses the potential barriers and resources necessary for change initiatives • Understands and supports the need for change • Envisions and articulates the intended result of the change process • Provides direction and focus during the change process • Helps to generate support of the changes throughout the organization • Identifies and enlists allies who support the change process • Provides resources, removes barriers, and acts as an advocate for those initiating change
- Result Focused • Establishes clear, specific performance goals, expectations, and priorities • Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully • Is constantly and consistently one of the top performers • Very bottom-line oriented • Steadfastly pushes self and others for results • Navigates quickly and effectively to resolve problems and obstacles • Persists to complete tasks / responsibilities, even in the face of difficulties • Develops a sense of urgency in others to complete tasks • Operates with personal ownership and looks for ways to improve performance all the time • Challenges him- or herself and others to raise the bar on performance • Focuses people on critical activities that yield a high impact • Holds self and others accountable for delivering high-quality results on time and within budget (e.g., models high work standards and demands the same from others)
- Team Work • Blends people into teams when they are needed • Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team • Shares wins and successes • Fosters open dialogue • Lets people finish and be responsible for their work • Seeks consensus among diverse viewpoints as a means of building group commitment • Defines success in terms of the whole team • Creates a feeling of belonging in the team • Values the contributions of all team members • Creates an environment that encourages open communication amongst team members • Creates an environment that encourages collective problem solving amongst team members
- Customer Focus • Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers • Gets first-hand customer information and uses it to understand customers' business issues and needs for improvements in products and services • Acts with customer in mind • Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect • Genuinely enjoys working with customers to build long-term partnerships • Creates a sense of customer focus throughout their team/ department/ business unit
The physical and mental demands must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Sit/stand while performing primarily sedentary work; Use repetitive wrist, hand or finger movements at a computer;
- Carry up to 10 lbs;
- Communicate with others in a clear and professional manner both orally and in writing to exchange information;
- Work as an integral part of a team with the ability to also work independently;
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining both perspective and professional demeanor;
- Work in a fast-paced professional environment while sustaining attention with distractions and/or interruptions;
This position will typically work in a climate controlled building in the Lafayette Office.
- Ensure personal behaviour and work practices are in line with Company safety standards
- Responsible for safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, suppliers and guests
- Provide visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk
- Do not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively work with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk
- Ensure all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company procedure
- As needed, seek advice from HSE representative
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.