Offshore Rig Mechanic (Cyber)
- 1110 Unifab Road, New Iberia, LA
The Mechanic position performs all tasks and duties of a mechanical discipline including but not limited to, installing and maintaining engines, hydraulic motors, pumps, compressors, and miscellaneous mechanical devices. The position is responsible for all mechanical drilling equipment pertaining to the drilling of the well, including circulating, rotating, hoisting or well control systems. The Mechanic is also responsible for all other equipment that support the operation of the platform. The position is also responsible for uploading maintenance and repair data into a Maintenance Management System (MMS).
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standards.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company and Client policies, standards, and procedures.
- Support the HSE objective of no injuries, accidents or harm to the environment as it relates to all mechanical processes, procedures, and policies.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Delegate work effectively with a clear definition of requirements and expectations.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of those working under direct supervision.
- Comply with platform emergency response plan or station bills during emergencies and/ or drills.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Understand LO/TO and Permit to Work procedures.
- Maintain and repair mechanical equipment and devices.
- Repair or replace defective or worn parts.
- Lubricate and service mechanical equipment as specified on lubrication schedule.
- Perform inspections of mechanical equipment as required.
- Perform preventative and corrective maintenance on mechanical equipment.
- Maintain a preventative maintenance schedule for all mechanical equipment.
- Adjust or regulate functional parts of machinery, devices, and control instruments.
- Troubleshoot and analyze mechanical malfunctions and failures.
- Read and analyze mechanical drawings, schematics and equipment manuals.
- Enter maintenance and repair data into a Maintenance Management System (SAP).
- Create Notifications and Work Orders as required and enter into The SAP Maintenance system.
- Coordinate with Senior Toolpusher on the maintenance, repair and refurbishment of equipment.
- Foresee potential equipment malfunctions or failures and preforms required repairs or adjustments to resolve the problem.
- Respond to emergencies as requested and coordinate onsite activities to utilize resources to facilitate repairs in the most expedient and cost effective manner.
- Ensure adequate amounts of critical spare parts are on hand and serviceable at all times.
- Submit requisitions to Senior Toolpusher /Purchasing Coordinator for approval.
- Set up and operate lathe, drill press, grinder and other metalworking tools to facilitate any necessary repairs.
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
Necessary Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various rig equipment.
- Must possess and maintain certifications and licenses necessary as required by the appropriate regulatory authorities.
- Knowledgeable of hydraulics principles mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Must possess mathematical skills required for certification as a mechanic.
- Must have proficient knowledge of diagnostic and measurement equipment used for rotating equipment maintenance.
- Must be a self-motivator and be able to work without close supervision.
- Must be able to prioritize jobs and work under tight time constraints.
- Must have good PC skills to include MS Office products. SAP PM and MM experience would be advantageous.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and fundamentals of the following equipment:
- NOV Amphion Drilling Systems
- Hoisting equipment (Varco)
- Pipe handling equipment (Varco Pipe Racking System)
- Top Drive (Varco TDS-8)
- Circulating equipment
- Hydraulic equipment
- Diesel engine (Caterpillar 3500 Series)
- Air compressors
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, good common sense and have the ability to follow directions.
- Must not pose a direct threat or significant risk of substantial harm to the safety or health of him/her or others.
- Must be able to recognize hazards, alarms, warnings and the ability to convey these to the proper personnel.
- Must have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate in English with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Education, experience, and certifications:
- High School diploma is required.
- Must be able to obtain appropriate offshore certifications
- Should have at least 5 years of work experience as a mechanic, oil and gas industry preferred.
- Must be able to work in the United States without visa sponsorship
- Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws, regulations and Company / Client safety policies and procedures.
- Provides visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk.
- Ensures that personal behaviors and work practices are in line with Company safety standards.
- Responsible for safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, vendors and guests.
- Must participate and promote the use of Stop Work Authority (SWA)
- Must participate and promote behavioral based safety program (COACH).
- Must actively participate in the various meetings held onsite/onboard (such as: induction meeting, pre-shift meeting, weekly safety meeting, risk assessment/pre-job meetings, etc.).
- Must plan, execute and participate in regularly scheduled safety drills (such as: well control, fire, man over board, etc.)
- Must participate in the processes of creating and revising Work Safe Procedures (WSP) as required, including after action reviews (AAR).
- Must participate in and promote the Dropped Object Prevention Scheme program and Standard, including red zone / exclusion zone management.
- Ensures all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company and Client policies.
- Does not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively works with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk.
- Must remain calm in emergencies to ensure the safety of the crew.
- As needed, seeks advice from HSE representative.
- Responsible for identifying ways to safely mitigate our customer’s risks and manage costs.
- Responsible for identifying ways to improve our operational performance with innovation, reliability and efficiency.
- Provides visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude.
- Ensures that operations have been planned and reviewed with the appropriate tools and approval.
- Responsible for identifying potential risks and hazards.
- Responsible for pro-actively implementing measures to mitigate and minimize risks and hazards.
- Responsible for capturing lessons learned and implementing them on future activities.
- Responsible for ensuring and promoting teamwork amongst the crew.
- Effectively communicate amongst crew and supervisors.
- Ensures communication is two-way by effective listening and seeking feedback.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS FOR DUTY
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. The employee will be required to meet all standards required for safe operations, including but not limited to the standards set forth by BSEE (Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement as well as any other standards set forth by regulatory bodies having jurisdiction over the operations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull and use repetitive wrist and hand movements. The employee may be required to lift and/or move objects of up to 50 pounds. The employee must be able to tolerate continuous vibrations and elevated noise levels as well as tolerate wearing personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness. The employee must stay mentally alert for entire regular shift and must have the ability of simultaneously rapid mental coordination.
Parker Drilling provides equal opportunity for all people and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic information, military service, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If an applicant has a disability, the applicant may request accommodations when needed to enable that person to perform their essential job functions or to allow that person to participate in employment.
This position will be offshore Louisiana in the Gulf of Mexico. Locations are subject to extreme temperatures and environments. Travel to and from the work location may require extended travel by helicopter or boat. Potential for exposure to temperature changes, wetness, confined spaces, chemicals, grease and oil are possible. Working with ladder and scaffolds and climbing to heights of up to 200 feet while carrying tools is possible. Parker Drilling will supply appropriate training and equipment to meet the requirements pertaining to the job. Employee must be able to work a minimum of 12 hours per day, on a rotational schedule of either 14/14 days or 21/21 days.