Rig Manager (Offshore)
- 1110 Unifab Road, New Iberia, LA
The Rig Manager position is responsible to ensure that drilling operations are achieved in compliance with company guidelines, policies and procedures. The position liaises with client representatives and rig site leadership to achieve operational objectives and milestones. The position is responsible for all operations and departments involved with the drilling and completion of the well. Also, to ensure that all work is performed safety, efficiently and according to procedure. This position is responsible for all operations, including but not limited to, hoisting, circulating, rotating/drilling, running casing, and well control. The Rig Manager takes total ownership of all operations, departments and personnel pertaining to the drilling and completion of the well.
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standards.
- Supervise and ensure the safety of drilling crew as well as efficient operations.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Support and assist onsite HSE Advisor for implementing rig site surveys, safety evaluations and hazard identification (hazard hunts).
- Collaborate with HSE Advisor to ensure personnel training matrix is updated and kept current.
- Follow the client’s daily drilling plans.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Ensure crews achieve Company and client competency standards.
- Train and supervise crew members on standard operating procedures to include, but not limited to, proper care and maintenance of the rig and drill string, including lubrication of equipment and housekeeping.
- Delegate work effectively with a clear definition of requirements and expectations.
- Responsible for morale and order within crew.
- Maintain records and certifications of all drill pipe, subs and tools.
- Maintain records and certifications of all BOPE.
- Ensure that Company preventive maintenance procedures are implemented and observed.
- Ensure that sling/lifting gear register is current and certifications valid, preform periodic inspections to ensure lifting gear is in good condition.
- Responsible for periodic scheduled rig inspections and filing of all pertinent reports.
- Collaborate with client drilling representative and coordinate with drill crew to accomplish optimum desired drilling conditions.
- Monitors and reviews the tracking of rotating hours on tubular/BHA/Tools.
- Collaborates with vendors and service personnel to ensure a smooth transition for scheduled operational changes.
- Ensure performance of daily checks on FOSV, Upper/Lower WCV, IBOP.
- Ensure rig crews’ competencies are developed and sufficient to perform their duties and responsibilities.
- Manage daily rig activities to include but not limited to drilling operations, HSE concerns, supply chain support, scheduling of maintenance and personnel issues.
- Ensure all rig operations are carried out in compliance with policies and procedures while adhering to any state and/or federal regulations.
- Ensure rig staffing levels are maintained appropriately to ensure project is completed safely and efficiently.
- Attend and actively participate to contribute knowledge, guidance and recommendations at all safety, operational, or leadership meetings.
- Monitor critical inventories and coordinate with supply chain personnel to ensure that equipment, parts and materials are received appropriately.
- Ensure that scheduled preventative maintenance is completely proficiently in order to minimize operational downtime.
- Responsible for periodic scheduled rig inspections and filing of all pertinent reports.
- Comply with platform emergency response plan or station bills during emergencies and/or drills.
- Provide guidance and support to drill crew and third party personnel when installing rig specific equipment, including but not limited to casing, cementing, wire line and completion equipment.
- Ensures that rig crew personnel are proficient in responding to well control situations.
- Maintain and disseminate information on rig equipment and drill string performance or failures.
- Collaborate with warehouse/materialman to ensure parts, materials and rig equipment are delivered proficiently
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or abilities expected for this position.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various rig equipment.
- Able to identify and understand functionality of various tubular sizes and thread types.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in basic rigger’s role to ensure safe lifting operations are performed.
- Knowledgeable of mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools.
- Must have the capacity to work effectively under pressure in ambiguous and complex situations.
- Can demonstrate knowledge and be able to function the following equipment/systems:
- Diverter, Well head, BOP and associated control equipment
- Automated pipe handling equipment (Varco PRS-8)
- NOV Amphion Cyber base drilling control and safety systems
- Anti-collision surface equipment systems
- Mechtech rack/pinion skidding system
- SAP Maintenance Management System
Can demonstrate knowledge and execution of the following operations:
- Drilling and well operations
- Well integrity and well control
- Dropped objects prevention
- Line of fire, zone of exclusion and safe zone operations
- Pipe measurement, number, strapping and tallying of pipes
- Tripping and back reaming
- Running casing and completions
- Troubleshooting downhole problems and equipment failures.
- Must have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate in English with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills, common sense and the ability to follow directions.
- Must possess basic mathematical skills (equivalent to a high school education) and be proficient in rig math.
- Education, experience, and certifications:
High School diploma is required
Must be able to obtain appropriate Well Control certification.
Must be able to obtain appropriate Offshore certifications
Well Control Surface BOP
- Should have at least 7 years of work experience pertaining to drilling.
- Should have at least 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Must be able to work in the United States without visa sponsorship.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS FOR DUTY
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential functions of this job. The employee will be required to meet all standards required for safe operations, including but not limited to the standards set forth by BSEE (Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement) as well as any other standards set forth by regulatory bodies having jurisdiction over the operations.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull and use repetitive wrist and hand movements. The employee may be required to lift and/or move objects of up to 50 pounds. The employee must be able to tolerate continuous vibrations and elevated noise levels as well as tolerate wearing personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness. The employee must stay mentally alert for entire regular shift and must have the ability of simultaneously rapid mental coordination.
Parker Drilling provides equal opportunity for all people and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, age, marital status, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic information, military service, veteran’s status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. If an applicant has a disability, the applicant may request accommodations when needed to enable that person to perform their essential job functions or to allow that person to participate in employment.
This position will be offshore Louisiana in the Gulf of Mexico. Locations are subject to extreme temperatures and environments. Travel to and from the work location may require extended travel by helicopter or boat. Potential for exposure to temperature changes, wetness, confined spaces, chemicals, grease and oil are possible. Working with ladder and scaffolds and climbing to heights of 200 feet while carrying tools is possible. Parker Drilling will supply adequate training and equipment to meet the requirements pertaining to the job. Employee must be able to work a minimum of 12 hours per day, on a rotational schedule of either 14/14 or, 21/21.
- Ensure that personal behaviors and work practices are in line with Company safety standards
- Responsible for safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, vendors and guests.
- Provide visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk.
- Do not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively work with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk.
- Always be prepared to Stop the Job and seek alternatives, if task involves hazards not identified in PTW or JSA, etc.
- Ensure all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company procedure.
- As needed, seek advice from HSE representative.