Senior Security Automation Engineer
- Reston, VA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Engineering
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
We’re changing the nature of work. Palo Alto Networks is evolving to meet the needs of our employees now and in the future through FLEXWORK, our approach to how we work. From benefits to learning, location to leadership, we’ve rethought and recreated every aspect of the employee experience at Palo Alto Networks. And because it FLEXes around each individual employee based on their individual choices, employees are empowered to push boundaries and help us all evolve, together.
We're looking for a Senior level Security Automation Engineer to make a significant contribution in our Unit 42 Engineering organization.
The Security Automation Engineer will serve to empower the entire security research team through designing and building threat centric application workflows, process automation, and building intelligent data architecture for threat intelligence and telemetry collection at scale. He/She will drive organic development initiatives as well as serve to assess and prioritize enhancement requests from the larger team.
This position requires a hands-on full stack development mindset, the ability to fail fast and learn faster, and a drive to execute by building ever better solutions. A strong focus on working with backend frameworks and databases is ideal, and the capability to also develop HTTP REST APIs and some front-end development is preferred.
- Architect and develop features/integrations to enable scalable threat data collections, analysis, and countermeasure creation
- Work with existing backend data systems to drive REST APIs and workflows (python) across a variety of SQL and NoSQL data solutions
- Partner with other development and business teams to manage dependencies and communicate technical specifications
- Translate analyst and researcher feature requirements and/or PoC scripts and tools into production grade features, driving process automation
- Serve as the security research team's software engineering subject matter expert
- Design and build new web-based workflows for threat intelligence utilizing technologies such as React and WebSockets
- Work with existing deployment infrastructure to regularly deploy releases using modern tools such as git and CI/CD (Gitlab CI, Spinnaker, Kubernetes)
- Strong understanding and usage of Python, SQL, NoSQL, ElasticSearch, and cloud technologies used for data manipulation at scale
- Experience working with queuing technologies such as RabbitMQ, Pub/Sub to build scalable solutions
- Experience developing container based applications using tools such as Docker, Kubernetes, and/or Helm
- Demonstrated full stack programming capability and desire to mature an idea or feature from pseudo-code to MVP
- Creation of and integration with REST APIs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and experience working on remote teams
- Experience with front-end frameworks such as React is a plus
- Background or interest in threat intelligence and applied security
- Strong understanding of computer science fundamentals, specifically networking, databases and tool development
- Experience with analytics, statistics, machine learning, and large data sets
- Candidates must be open to travel requirements (up to 10%)
- BS/MS or equivalent experience required
Our engineering team is at the core of our products and connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. We are constantly innovating — challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. Our engineers don’t shy away from building products to solve problems no one has pursued before.
We define the industry instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at [email protected]
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Disclosure required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum compensation (includes on-target earnings = base + on target incentives for sales roles) for this role to be located in the state of Colorado. If hired in Colorado, this position starts at $105,800/yr. Depending on the position offered, restricted stock units and incentive or bonus pay may be provided as part of this compensation package. Additional benefits may be found here.