Senior Software Engineer - Cyber Research (Expanse)
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Department: Engineering
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Cyber Research team at Expanse, the latest addition to Palo Alto Networks Cortex.
Expanse’s global collections architecture yields the best and most detailed global view into the device layer of the public internet data set ever created. The Cyber Research leverage datasets ranging in size from gigabytes to petabytes in unconventional ways to produce unparalleled cybersecurity insights for national security and government customers. We develop new techniques for scanning hosts on the Internet in order to identify services and vulnerabilities and conduct their own unique collection and analysis in support of special projects involving threat hunting and incident response.
Our work is varied, exciting, and meaningful. We rapidly prototype new capabilities to address specific customer needs. We improve our Internet intelligence through other, unique forms of data collection. We develop, maintain, and use our own tools to perform threat hunting. We stand up infrastructure and conduct our own vulnerability research of customer networks. We are consistently shown the impact of our work and are proud to be a part of our nation’s cyber defense.
- Support our mission to keep national security customers safe from malicious actors online
- Develop new scanning techniques using Go and C
- Develop new software or improve existing software using Python to better leverage our datasets in the various missions of threat hunting and vulnerability discovery
- Grow our library of datasets and integrate new capabilities into our tools
- Build prototypes that generate insights for customers and help to operationalize them
- Mentor junior staff, share best practices and technical expertise with a multidisciplinary team
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or other technical discipline (or equivalent professional experience)
- At minimum, you must be eligible for a security clearance; active Secret or Top Secret clearance is preferred
- Experience programming in a UNIX environment
- Basic networking knowledge. You should be able to explain how TCP/IP, DNS, and HTTP work
- Basic network security knowledge. You should be able to explain the concepts of Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability and the corresponding cryptographic primitives (hash functions, symmetric key cryptography, public key cryptography, digital signatures). You should have a high level understanding of commonly used crypto systems (SSH, TLS). Understanding of PKI
- A successful candidate must have at least one of the following):
- Experience writing high-performance, concurrent code
- Experience with high performance networking via kernel bypass (XDP, DPDK, PF_RING)
- Experience writing parsers for network protocols
- Experience setting up data lakes/warehouses
- Understanding of database internals and selecting the correct database for certain query patterns
- Experience with distributed computation frameworks such as Apache Spark or Apache Beam
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at [email protected]
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.