Director, Systems Engineering
- Santa Clara, CA, USA
- Employees can work remotely
- Department: Sales/Sales Operations
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
The Named Accounts Systems Engineering Director (SED) for the West Region reports to the Area Vice President of Named Systems Engineering for the Americas and will lead our team of Named Accounts Systems Engineers (SE) who are the go-to technical experts assisting the sales team in generating growth.
This is a virtual position that can be based in any major metro area in the Central Region. It will require a business savvy individual with a strong background in security platforms, application architecture, and sales coupled with a successful track record in team management.
● Report and make visible the successes and deficiencies of the initiatives within your area
● Metric-based results should be evident across all areas of focus
● Develop and own outcome oriented Systems Engineering initiatives which drive pipeline and sales with your AVP, RVPs, Systems Engineering Managers (SEMs), and SEs to drive greater efficiencies and success within the Area
● Develop and maintain strong relationships with Palo Alto Networks’ partners (reseller, distribution, system integrators, and alliances) and drive and measure initiatives to improve sales productivity through partner leverage
● Drive portfolio sales into the region’s account base and not just single products including:
● Selling strategic emerging solutions within a broader portfolio
● Leading portfolio expansion initiatives, with factual results upselling subscriptions and strategic solutions.
● Ensure that you, your SEMs, and your SE team:
○ Plan and architect compelling technical and business-focused solutions which drive adoption and growth after the initial sale and across the portfolio
○ Understand and articulate the key technical, operational, and commercial challenges faced by our prospects and customers that the Palo Alto Networks solution addresses
○ Build and maintain relationships with key customers in the territory to solidify reference accounts and to assist the account teams with defining plans to drive more business
○ Develop and maintain strong technical relationships with Palo Alto Networks’ partners (reseller, distribution, system integrators, and alliances) which improve sales productivity
● Pristine personnel management – including demonstrated development plans and execution, reduced attrition results and initiatives, a clear history of promotions and success, etc.
● Provide account support through SE assignments, load balancing, continuity, strategic planning with Sales management, Sales Reps and SEs, and customer meetings including sales calls, relationship building and problem resolution
● Operate effectively in a matrix manner with extended teams, such as Support, Finance, WW SE, HR, Product Management and other relevant organizations.
● Act as an escalation point for pre-sales and post sales technical issues that arise in the territory
● Develop, mentor, manage and support reporting sales engineers with technical and organizational leadership
● Manage successful evaluations and timely return of evaluation equipment
● Possess a combination of management, technical and business skills
● A challenger sales mentality and a fast-growing mindset are a must
● A minimum of five years of first line leadership with a preference for second line leadership experience
● Proven experience managing managers, not just individuals
● Industry knowledge of security product market trends and directional awareness of Palo Alto Network’s roadmap and technology development efforts. Knowledge of how to deliver comprehensive security solutions to PAN’s customer base, and maintains a general understanding of competitive selling strategies
● Comfortable presenting to both internal and external executive audiences
● Demonstrated experience in working directly with customers at the C level of an organization, as well as working with industry partners and alliances
● Possess the intellect and the executive presence to become a true business partner across functions
● Willing to travel 50-75%
● Sales Engineering Leadership: An articulate, social individual that can translate a highly technical solution in simple business terms and develop relationships with decision makers
● Highly commercial in orientation, with a strong focus on the customer and a clear commitment to generating topline growth
● Leading by example, this individual, when necessary, will not hesitate getting into the details of the business
● Self-driven: Highly autonomous individual that can lead a cross functional project from ground up and make things happen
● Decisive leader with a passion for the business and a real sense of urgency.
● Strategic thinking: To plan and build alongside the other sales and marketing leaders. There will also be a close collaboration with the product team
● This individual must be a forward thinker who is extremely focused and capable of creating an evolving strategy to meet and anticipate both near and long-term development issues
● Excellent communication skills. Equally comfortable talking with investors, employees, executive management team, customers and the board with an ability to translate complex issues into easily understood terms
● Impeccable character and high ethical standard
● Absolute integrity, honesty, intensity and passion
As part of our Systems Engineering team, you’ll support the Sales team with technical expertise and guidance when establishing trust with key clients. You won’t find someone at Palo Alto Networks who isn’t committed to your success — everyone pitches in to assist when it comes to solutions selling, learning, and development. As a member of our Systems Engineering team, you are motivated by a solutions-focused sales environment and find fulfillment in working with clients to resolve incredible complex cyberthreats.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at [email protected]
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.