Senior firmware engineer
PAL Robotics is a robotics company that develops humanoid robots and service robots. Our goal is to develop humanoid robots that can perform useful tasks in the real world. We are a young and multidisciplinary team of highly motivated engineers who have successfully developed several prototypes and products.
At PAL Robotics, we are committed to pushing the boundaries of robotics technology and creating innovative solutions that have a real-world impact. We are currently in search of a skilled and driven Firmware Engineer. The ideal candidate should possess a minimum of 4 years of experience in firmware development for embedded systems, along with a robust grasp of microcontroller and microprocessor programming. In this role, you will collaborate closely with our engineering team to conceptualize, develop, and refine the firmware powering our robotic systems.
Duties and responsibility
- Design, develop, and implement embedded firmware for robotics platforms, ensuring optimal performance, reliability, and scalability.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams, including hardware engineers, software developers, and researchers, to achieve seamless integration of firmware with the overall system.
- Leverage your expertise in real-time operating systems (RTOS) to create firmware that meets stringent timing requirements and ensures precise control of robotic systems.
- Implement and optimize communication protocols, including EtherCAT, to facilitate seamless data exchange between components within the system.
- Integrate embedded middleware solutions like Quantum Leaps to enhance task scheduling, event-driven architecture, and overall system performance.
- Conduct thorough testing and debugging of firmware, and actively participate in code reviews to maintain a high-quality codebase.
- Identify opportunities for optimization and improvement in firmware architecture, algorithms, and codebase.
- Stay up-to-date with emerging technologies and industry trends to drive continuous innovation in firmware development.
- Define specifications, generate project documentation and reports.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field. Master's degree preferred.
- Proven experience 4+ years in firmware development for embedded systems, with proficiency in C/C++ programming languages.
- Strong understanding of microcontroller architectures, real-time operating systems (RTOS), and hardware-software interfaces.
- Expertise in debugging and troubleshooting hardware-related issues.
- Familiarity with communication protocols (e.g., UART, SPI, I2C) and version control systems (e.g., Git).
- Prior experience in robotics or autonomous systems is highly advantageous.
- Knowledge of EtherCAT and CAN communication protocol and experience in its implementation.
- Proficiency in working with real-time operating systems (RTOS) to ensure precise control and timing in embedded systems.
- Language skills (Spanish and English)
Desired skills and experience
- Complex multi-axis control system architecture development: power, communication (CAN, Ethernet, EtherCAT), safety.
- Experience with embedded middleware solutions like Quantum Leaps for task scheduling and event-driven architecture.
- Graphical interface development with Qt library.
We offer a competitive compensation package, including salary, benefits, and opportunities for professional development. You will be part of a dynamic and international team in a constantly growing and developing environment in a fulfilling and inclusive equal opportunity workplace.
- A large workspace with a terrace and views of sunny Barcelona.
- Permanent full-time contract.
- Flexible working hours and Fridays until 14:00.
- 26 working days holiday per year.
- Possibility to apply for payment in kind and possibility of continuous training.
- The compensation will be set according to the candidate's experience.
- Free coffee & tea provided.
If you are interested, please apply via the link on this site or send your CV to recruit @pal-robotics.com. Please specify the job code JOB-2023-16 and the name of the job in the subject field of the email.
All information will be treated in accordance with the RGPD.