Irrigation Technician - Royal Hawaiian Golf Club
- Kailua, HI
1. Organization and Purpose
The Irrigation Technician is responsible for the maintenance, service, repair and maintenance of the irrigation system. This position reports to the Superintendent.
2. Scope and Impact
The Irrigation Technician is responsible for preventive maintenance and repair of existing irrigation and the installation of new irrigation. The Irrigation Technician operates vehicles and equipment in either a specific or variety of maintenance, construction and/or utility tasks. The Irrigation Technician will use a variety of hand and mechanical tools with moving parts (pump stations).
3. Essential Functions
Monitoring Irrigation System
• Operates the irrigation system on a daily basis.
• Detects and makes necessary repairs to the irrigation system.
• Accurately reads various gauges as related to the irrigation system.
• Repairs and maintains irrigation systems, and repair and maintenance of golf course maintenance shop.
• Works in an independent manner within the guidelines provided by the Superintendent’s established procedures and Club policies.
• Work is spot checked for compliance with instructions.
• Refers unusual problems to the Superintendent for assistance.
• Operates irrigation field controllers, pipes, valves, irrigation sprinkler heads, light/heavy vehicles, automobiles, tractors, riding mowers and push or pull mowers.
• Operates light/heavy duty vehicles, riding mowers, backhoes, push mowers, rakes, shovels, blowers, sprayers, hand saws, hydraulic boom, small tools and any other equipment associated with turf care.
• Uses hand tools, water hoses and weed eaters.
• Shovels dirt, sand and other materials.
Irrigation and Machinery Maintenance
• Works with electrical wiring as related to the irrigation systems.
• Keeps work area neat and organized as necessary for efficient job performance.
• Gives Superintendent supplies list for ordering irrigation parts.
• Performs work in conformance with policies of Pacific Links Hawaii.
• Applies independent judgment and initiative in the completion of assigned tasks.
• Performs general building maintenance.
4. Marginal Functions
• Prepares inventory of all irrigation items on property.
• Performs all other duties and responsibilities in a timely manner as assigned by the Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent, or any other Corporate manager.
A. Education/Experience Required
• Education equivalent to graduation from an accredited high school. Education requirement may be waived by experience.
• Solid experience and knowledgeable in all areas of irrigation equipment.
B. Technical Skills Required
• Ability to read and comprehend irrigation blue prints, manuals and/or written instructions.
• Knowledge of and/or ability to learn about occupational hazards and safety precautions.
• Ability to operate all equipment vehicles, and train other employees in the proper operation and care of equipment and vehicles.
• Knowledge of and/or ability to learn about the care and proper use of tools and equipment used in the development and maintenance of the irrigation system, greens, tees, fairways, hazards, bunkers, irrigation systems and general grounds of the golf course.
• Knowledge of and/or the ability to learn about turf disease, insects, rodents, chemicals and methods used to control these undesirable elements.
• Knowledge of and/or ability to learn occupational hazards and safety precautions regarding unguarded machinery and moving parts.
• Expected to furnish sufficient personal tools to accomplish most normal maintenance, but specialized equipment will be furnished.
• Knowledge of electricity and its components as it is related to irrigation system and machinery.
• Knowledge of hydraulic operations/repairs as related to pumps, controls and transmission devices.
• Knowledge of the operation and repair of sprinkler heads, main lines, laterals and pump stations.
• Knowledge of OSHA requirements.
C. Interpersonal Skills
• Maintains a favorable working relationship with all co-workers to foster and promote a cooperative and harmonious working climate to help keep high morale and productivity.
• Requires ability to focus on many tasks and projects at once.
• Self-starter, self-motivated, adaptable, able to work with minimal direction in a high pressure environment.
• Must be able to work with the golfing public in a courteous and responsible manner.
• A desire to learn and participate in the ongoing improvements and enhancement of the golf course grounds.
D. Language Skills
• Must communicate effectively with other employees in the maintenance department and Pro Shop area.
• Must be able to communicate effectively verbally with co-workers and manager.
E. Physical Demands/Work Environment
• Most work outdoors under extreme weather conditions at times. Some work may be performed inside due to circumstances related to mechanical breakdowns
• Work involves heavy lifting, exposure to chemicals, fumes, and machinery with moving parts, loud noise, dirt and irrigated water.
• Significant physical movement to stand, stoop and walk as part of the work routine.
• Frequent and ongoing lifting of objects weighing up to 100 lbs.
• Regular reaching with hands and arms.
• Frequent use of hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls.
• Occasional physical actions such as climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• Regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions.
• Ongoing exposure to wet and extreme hot and cold weather conditions, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals and vibration.
• Occasional exposure to risk of electrical shock, therefore following safety guidelines is extremely important.
This job posting no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee filling this position. For a complete list of job requirements, please see the Job Description for this position. Each employee will be required to comply with any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by his/her supervisor.
Please no phone calls for this position. Applications will be processed once the on-line application and resume are both received. Job offer will be made to viable candidate conditional upon a successful pre-employment background screening and drug test. Pacific Links Hawaii is an Equal Opportunity Employer.