Local or Remote - Solutions Engineer (System Administrator)
- 230 W 200 S, Salt Lake City, UT 84101, USA
Hello! We’re looking for a remote, customer-focused system administrator experienced using our products to join the Solutions team at PDQ.com. If you love solving problems, helping customers (other system administrators), and interacting with people, then read on.
Our company goal is to make the lives of system administrators (like you) easier - and make them look good. We have two applications that do that, PDQ Deploy and PDQ Inventory. You should be very familiar with both of these products.
Check out the videos at the end of this ad to learn more about our company. Suffice to say, PDQ.com is a great place to work. And we're saying that even though HR told us we ought to. Some of our favorite things about our jobs include:
- All the great benefits you'd expect from working at a cool tech company: Quarterly profit sharing, 160 hours of paid time off annually & three days of volunteer time off, fully-subsidized health benefits (medical/dental/vision), 401K match to 6%, many three-day weekends, and like two more things at least.
- Managers who are supportive and technically experienced (the best kind of experienced).
- Company-supported education, training, and the occasional conference trip.
- Salary is $70 - $77.5K depending on experience.
This is primarily a customer service role focused on exceptional support while slaying our ticket volume; these are not your run of the mill "the printer does not work" tickets. These are the top-shelf kind of tickets where you help other administrators like you with PDQ Deploy and PDQ Inventory.
Thanks to our applications relying heavily on a functional Windows environment, you'll get to experience a wide variety of environments and setups while troubleshooting.
We also need a helping hand maintaining our ever-growing library of ready-to-deploy software packages in the Package Library.
Important: Our core hours are from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, Mountain Time. Due to these hours, we are only accepting applications from the contiguous United States.
There will be some travel involved with working remote. Typically, you can expect to travel to Salt Lake City a minimum of 4 - 5 times per year for stays of at least one week, sometimes as much as two or three. This is true when there isn't a pandemic.
Expected job breakdown:
80% - customer support.
- Assist customers with questions and issues via email. And, again, we'll plug the fact that you'll be working with system administrators, not Brad in sales or Karen in AR who routinely forgets to charge her wireless mouse.
- Create and maintain documentation and content, including blog posts, KBs, and sometimes threads on our support forums.
10 - 15% - maintain and add packages to the Package Library.
5 - 10% - internal IT projects/tasks.
- You'll need to have a thorough understanding of Windows, Active Directory, DNS, basic networking, credentials, and GPOs.
- You know PDQ Deploy and PDQ Inventory intimately. You use them both regularly.
- Know how to silently install/deploy Windows applications in a variety of ways outside of using PDQ products.
- You prefer to work with minimal supervision, own the entirety of work you perform, and understand the importance and implications of exceptional work quality.
- Super bonus extra credit: some C# knowledge.
Details about you:
- Highly skilled in technical customer support. You’ve been in the trenches for at least 3 years, and you’ve used PDQ Deploy and PDQ Inventory long enough to be able to deploy a nested package to every machine in your organization without Brad from sales even knowing.
- An exceptional solver of problems. It comes with being a successful system administrator; it’s in your blood. You relish dealing with a variety of customers and solving their sometimes very complex problems even if it requires extensive research or going far above and beyond what’s normally expected from support. That means you're going to be a better troubleshooter than most of your peers.
- Empathetic. You want to make our customers look good and save them time regardless of their level of skill or experience. You’re committed to providing our customers the exceptional level of support you would expect.
- Dedicated to details. As much as you ensure your troubleshooting is precise, efficient, and the information you provide is accurate, your communication with the customer makes them delighted to be working with you.
- Curious. You're eager to learn, grow, and be part of our team. You're the kind of person that if you don't understand something, you Google it and figure it out. When you don't know something, you learn it.
- An excellent writer. For now, all our support is email support, and the company communicates heavily over Slack and email. Being an outstanding written communicator in the English language is essential, especially since you'll be remote.
- Apply here or at https://careers.smartrecruiters.com/PDQcom
- Once we receive your application, we'll send you a homework assignment with instructions.
- Submission of Homework is required. We are unable to consider your application and resume and move you forward in the recruitment process if you do not submit the homework. We don't even look at your resume until we have the homework in our greedy little hands.
At PDQ.com, we own ownership, we embrace collaboration and tear down silos, we are honest even if it's embarrassing and we are always learning and improving.
PDQ.com is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.