Midweight UX/UI Designer
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 3,200 specialists in consumer, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government, health and life sciences, manufacturing, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Europe, and the Nordics.
We’re committed to driving Inclusion and Diversity. We endeavour to be active allies and create a more inclusive culture that offers equal opportunities and supports diversity in all its forms.
We offer extensive training, and our employee networks support an inclusive and diverse environment for our colleagues and communities (RISE Network, Women’s Network, Pride Network, Mental Health and Wellbeing, Military Network).
Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
Midweight Designers work on the rapid delivery of projects contributing to experience strategy, improvements to existing experience design systems, through to projects across responsive frameworks or native apps. You will support the Lead Designer in formulating and articulating design strategy.
You will work across a variety of clients and sectors, working independently or as part of a larger design team, on challenging and innovative programmes of work and complex design engagements. You will develop strong relationships with clients and colleagues, deepening their understanding of digital design practice.
You will contribute to all design aspects of our work, producing UX and UI artefacts from sketches and prototypes through to detailed product design.
Digital Design at PA
We are a vibrant service and product design community of experts, with deep specialist practitioner skills across all parts of the design spectrum – covering research, design strategy and service design, UX/UI and IA, through to content, prototyping and movement.
We display a generalist attitude; an understanding of the whole design process, and can easily navigate, communicate and practice the full spectrum.
We are passionate about the possibilities for innovation between Strategy, Design and Front End. We're embedded in mixed discipline teams, are militantly collaborative and believe in continual learning and supportive peer review.
What you’ll do
- Contribute to design projects from discovery through to delivery
- Ensure the design solution supports the strategic vision
- Present your ideas to varied audiences; from senior execs to technical teams
- Build strong relationships with internal teams and clients
- Rapidly visualise ideas, through collaborative sketching and prototyping
- Craft UX and UI artefacts as required by the project
- Have a strong focus on quality and timely delivery
- Constantly develop the craft of UX and UI, pushing the creativity and innovation in our work
- Be a committed member of the design community, contributing to and supporting design team initiatives
- Provide design input to bids and new business proposals
- Assist with recruitment and onboarding of new designers
The decision about ‘where to work’ will be governed by ‘the work we need to do’ for our clients and in support of others in our team. For most of us, it will be a hybrid model which balances working from the client site, office and home. You’ll determine your working patterns with your assignment partner. You will be based in London, Manchester or Belfast, but you’ll usually be working side-by-side with our clients either physically or virtually. While consulting roles do require flexibility to travel within the UK, we work with individuals to make sure deployment onto assignments is done respectfully. If you require flexible working, please talk to one of our Recruiters about the flexibility you may need.
What you’ll bring
As Midweight Designer you have experience in producing UX and UI design to solve complex client problems. You have knowledge of a wide range of design tools and techniques. You are keen to hone your existing skills and learn new ones.
Collaboration skills – You:
- Work with multi-disciplinary teams to craft useful, usable and delightful digital products and services
- Are collaborative and friendly; working openly and transparently with your team
- Set and manage clear expectations about quality and speed of project output
- Can advocate for UX best practice while balancing the technical constraints of your project
- Inspire others around you to be better and enjoy knowledge sharing and mentoring
Excellent practitioner skills – You:
- Understand quantitative and qualitative research techniques and how to use them to uncover user needs
- Analyse a wide range of data to reframe problems, articulate opportunities and form hypotheses
- Understand design thinking; supporting workshop activities and co-creation sessions; both in person and using online tools
- Sketch target customer experiences, journeys and interfaces
- Create low and high fidelity design artefacts for validation/testing/delivery as required (eg. service blueprints, experience maps, user journeys, wireframes, prototypes, detailed UI design)
- Use design, prototyping and collaboration software (eg. Figma, Sketch, Invision, Zeplin, Storybook, Axure, Adobe XD, Miro, Mural, or any others you can introduce us to)
- Interpret and follow design guidelines; creating or evolving digital design systems
Robust communication skills – You:
- Have strong verbal and written communication skills
- Present your work clearly and concisely; both in person and using online tools
- Sensitively challenge inappropriate ideas and solutions and push for innovation
- Question your own thinking and actively seek feedback on own output
Benefits at PA:
- Private medical insurance
- Travel allowance
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Additional optional benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
PA is committed to building an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people can excel. We believe that greater diversity stimulates innovation, enabling us to fulfil our purpose of ‘Bringing Ingenuity to Life’, supporting the growth of our people, and delivering more enduring results for our clients.
We only recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.