Principal Java Engineer
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 4000 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists.
We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
As a team, we transform our client’s businesses using a combination of strategic thinking, customer-centric service design, and agile engineering practices. We do this at internet scale – driving innovation, and enriching people’s lives. Our skills and talent enable PA’s purpose of creating positive a human future in a technology driven world.
As part of our Digital team, you’ll work alongside colleagues from across PA – delivering transformative digital solutions to today’s most complex business challenges. Our teams are trusted to deliver and given the space to be awesome. We’re an inclusive community for the curious, generous, pragmatic and committed digital practitioner.
As a Principal Java Engineer:
- You'll be a practiced member of the team. You'll be competent at owning and delivering solutions and being the design authority for how features are implemented.
- You can expect to use your knowledge of architecture; our clients will look to you for advice and contribution in higher level architectural discussions.
- You'll be familiar with the development process, and take ownership for certain aspects of the process by putting appropriate methods and tools in place.
- You will have regular conversations with clients, and be a point of contact between the client and the project team.
- You'll be coaching and mentoring more junior members of the team, and deputising for the team principal, will be important in the role.
- You'll be involved in shaping bids (working with a bid team) and will assist to create approaches or proposals, and perhaps you may also add valuable contributions during presentations to clients in a formal selection process.
- You'll play an active role in account management
As a Principal Java Engineer, you’ll have experience working in teams to deliver robust and scalable solutions for the automation of complex business processes. Your team members will look to you as a trusted expert and will expect you to define the end to end software development lifecycle in line with modern best practices.
Your experience spans across projects with different architecture approaches, you have an understanding of SOA or Microservices and you are familiar with asynchronous messaging architectures. You recognize the importance of using logging and monitoring best practices and you have experience in applying security principles to your applications.
Your application experience typically covers Java 8+, enterprise frameworks such as Spring, RESTful services with JSON, SCM tools like Git, a variety of tools for building the code such as Maven or Gradle and testing frameworks like jUnit and Mockito. Moreover, you have experience integrating Java applications with relational databases and you have used JPA implementations such as Hibernate.
You enjoy working within cross-functional Agile teams and you are familiar with Scrum ceremonies.
DevOps principles underpin everything you do, and Continuous Integration, Delivery and Deployment will not be new terms. You’ll understand and have realised the value of these practices through past experiences and will have helped design and build deployment pipelines using tools like Jenkins, command line utilities and infrastructure templates.
You’ll be comfortable designing and building for the cloud, preferably AWS, Google Cloud Platform or Microsoft Azure and will have designed and worked on architectures that include Platform-as-a-Service components and perhaps even serverless and container technologies.
Benefits at PA:
- Private medical insurance
- Travel allowance
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Additional optional benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
PA is committed to building an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people can excel. We believe that greater diversity stimulates innovation, enabling us to fulfil our purpose of ‘Bringing Ingenuity to Life’, supporting the growth of our people, and delivering more enduring results for our clients.
We only recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.