Senior Software Engineer, Automation and Support
We believe that now is the time to reevaluate the tools and methods we use to measure the impact of spaces where we live, work, and play. Building sustainably at a global scale requires better technology and processes for the people involved. We're attacking this at the core -- Outer Labs provides modern human-centric apps for stakeholders who can directly influence the way real estate, architecture, and construction decisions are made.
Some questions we find ourselves asking: How can technology help an Architect explore thousands of ideas in the time it currently takes to explore one? How can software optimize the quality of space for usability while reducing the cost and resources required to build? How do we encourage adoption of reusable solutions that can be manufactured more sustainably and efficiently?
Answers to these questions require deep expertise in design and engineering that comes from every level of our company. This is why we’ve invested deeply in building a culture that empowers its employees to do great work and directly shape the future of its products. We want smart, creative, and intentional individuals to be part of our core team. Are you in?
We are actively seeking an experienced, creative, and pragmatic Software Engineer, Automation and Support in Mexico City, Mexico to join our growing team. The engineering team is a mix of people from traditional CS backgrounds as well as non-traditional backgrounds such as architecture, mechanical engineering, music, and more. We value this diversity and pride ourselves on being a place that creates opportunities for motivated individuals to move into technology careers.
The stack includes Java, Spanner, Angular, D3, and Google Cloud Platform. We strive to write clean, maintainable code that is tested, documented, and understood across the team. We are a small team, and you will work on a variety of problems across the stack.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve our software to fit client needs
- Apply best practices of software development
- contribute full stack features to our applications
- Remediate defects
- Contribute to the development of automation and test scripts
- Perform code review
- Collaborate with other disciplines on our team, including product management, design, and business development
- Proactively communicate with other members of the team, and sometimes external clients
- Outcome-oriented, creative, and proactive personality
- Positive attitude!
- 2-5+ years of experience in a professional software engineering role, or equivalent
- Ability to manage risks in your tasks. You should generally resolve blockages on your own, but escalate when necessary. Help others with problems they're facing.
- Experience with software deployments, devops, and tooling for developer productivity
- Ability to take on tech lead designation; this includes scoping and organizing work for yourself and potentially others on your team.
- Experience with Java
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work. Outer Labs values working on projects together, bouncing ideas off each other, and swapping responsibilities as necessary to work quickly and smoothly.
- Strong communication skills. We communicate through written documents, Slack, Hangouts, phone, and email. You should be a good listener and reader as well as able to get your ideas across clearly and respectfully.
- Passion for mentorship and being empathetic. Outer Labs strongly believes in supporting early career engineers and ones from non traditional backgrounds
- Experience or interest in AEC (Architecture, Engineering, & Construction) is a huge plus
Outer Labs is a great place to work, and we care deeply about our team! Beyond creating a place where people can do their best, we also believe in fairness, equity, and creating opportunities for people from all sorts of backgrounds.
Outer Labs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
We remain dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment. If you’re excited about this role, but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway - you may be the right candidate for this or other roles!