Senior Software Engineer
- Your House, Remote City, Anywhere, United States
Outer Labs is a small, dynamic company that is passionate about developing technology related to the built environment. Our work is a mixture of custom software development for forward-thinking technology companies that want to radically change the process of how buildings are created, and software development for our own product that empowers people to better engage with their physical space. We are a 100% distributed company with people in such varied places as San Francisco, St. George, Irvine, Seattle, Denver, and Lake Tahoe. We believe people should lead balanced lives, and live/work from a place that brings them joy. Come join our growing team!
Outer Labs is building software tools for professionals in the Architecture, Engineering, and Construction field that have the potential to radically reshape how buildings are designed, constructed, and occupied. Some problems you might be tapped to work on include, How could software automatically layout a building’s structural system? How could software automatically understand city zoning codes? How could software interpret an architect’s ideas and intentions through a simple drawing? or How can we help a designer explore a thousand ideas in the time it currently takes to explore one?
We are actively seeking experienced, creative, and pragmatic senior software engineers to join our growing team. Technologies we use include Golang, App Engine, React, Typescript, Docker, Kubernetes, and ThreeJS. We strive to write clean, maintainable code that is tested, documented, and understood across the team. We are a small team, and you will work on a variety of problems across the stack. You will have a voice and influence on technical direction and decisions, and are expected to contribute to making our team the best it can be.
What you'll do
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and improve Outer Labs software
- Manage both individual and team-wide project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables
- Act as a pillar of the software engineering team, using your experience to help guide technical decisions and direction
- Perform technical investigations on sometimes open-ended problems, form well-researched and defensible opinions on technical decisions
- Participate in code and design reviews; provide strong but constructive opinions on how to improve the quality of our infrastructure and our products; and suggest and implement creative solutions to the challenges we encounter.
- Collaborate with other disciplines on our team, including product management, design, and business development
- Proactively communicate with other members of the team, and sometimes external clients
- Teach what you know, acting as a mentor when appropriate, while staying open to a process of constant learning.
- 8+ years software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages.
- Deep experience working with two or more of the following: web application development, Unix/Linux environments, web-based computer graphics (WebGL, Three.js), 2D/3D geometry & spatial reasoning, distributed and parallel systems, Google Cloud Platform, machine learning, mapping/GIS, and/or developing large software systems.
- Ability to think abstractly about complex systems
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work. Outer Labs values working on projects together, bouncing ideas off each other, and swapping responsibilities as necessary to work quickly and smoothly.
- Strong communication skills. Outer Labs is a 100% remote/distributed company. We communicate through written documents, Slack, Hangouts, phone, and email. You should be a good listener and reader as well as able to get your ideas across clearly and respectfully.
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience or interest in AEC (Architecture, Engineering, & Construction) is a huge plus.
Outer Labs is a great place to work! Some of the benefits we offer include:
- Unlimited PTO
- 11 paid company holidays
- Computer and home office setup of your choice, or access to a co-working space if desired
- Healthcare, dental, and vision insurance for employee & dependents. We cover 85% of the cost for employee, and 75% of the cost for dependents
- Flexible working hours
- 100% remote working
- Paid parental leave for all new parents
Outer Labs provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.