Senior Full-Stack Java Developer
- Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
Here at Othera, we are passionate about increasing trust and transparency in the financial services industry. Our innovative technology provides lenders and asset managers with blockchain tools for originating and managing loans, credit risk, and asset liquidity in a way that facilitate trust between all participants in the financial ecosystem, especially for investors.
Our platform helps lenders and asset managers to significantly reduce costs and increase revenue through workflow automation and intelligent creation of a new type of digital investment asset. The technology integrates with existing lending workflows to delivery visibility and liquidity to the investment community and to replace the legacy technology and opaque investment practices that contributed to the GFC.
This is your chance to make a global impact in the financial world. Othera is a well funded fintech that is scaling up to change the fabric of international capital markets with their blockchain powered loan management platform and digital asset exchange.
Othera is tackling the cause of the global financial crisis head on by increasing trust and transparency in the financial services industry. We have already landed high profile clients and partnerships, and with more in the pipeline, we need your help to deliver our game changing technology. Use your skills, creativity and passion to join us in redefining the financial landscape and bringing greater accountability and transparency to global capital markets.
Not only is our product a new greenfields system, it is breaking new ground in markets that don’t exist, requiring genuine innovation.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate a blend of independence, team collaboration and a comfort with taking risks.
To get the most out of your role and working with the team, you will:
Teamwork - make the team better as you guide others to solutions and you learn from the best.
Solve problems - show initiative with problem solving but be just as open to brainstorming in an open and honest dialogue with the team.
Deliver - be organised and know what you need to do each day, set goals and achieve them.
Innovate - show courage in trying something new, be creative and utilise strategic risk taking.
Thrive with change - be comfortable working in an agile and rapidly evolving environment. Frequent change doesn't ruffle your feathers!!
- You will be responsible for applying the right tools from the full set of the leading edge technologies
- Your decisions and clean code will solve new challenging problems that will have a big impact
- You will become a key part of a nimble exciting team creating financial innovation.
It is often more efficient and fun to work vertically through the stack from blockchain to frontend in a pair than to separate skills and responsibilities in backend and frontend. You know what it takes to architect and engineer a set of microservices to have all the properties like security, reliability, performance, and maintainability in place. You have a strong focus on test-first and quality. You like to learn and stay on top of technological developments.
The Techie Details
- You have an affinity and experience in creating micro services in Java or Scala and frameworks like Spring Cloud or Lagom/Lightbend.
- Frontend experience in React, Redux, etc. is a plus (but not a must) to tie the whole thing together.
- We strongly believe in TDD and pair programming for quality and fun and you prefer functional and strongly typed languages to simply know it works when the build says ok.
- Blockchain experience, especially Ethereum and enterprise blockchain is a plus, but as the technology is too young to claim expertise, we believe you will learn quick enough.
- DevOps experience, esp. Docker, Kubernetes, and Azure/AWS will help.
- You can demonstrate you created challenging software. Large-scale, web services beyond the 2,000-line textbook example. More than once.
- You have an engineering degree (BSc or more, PhDs are most welcome), ideally in computer science or equivalent.
- Given the fintech domain, relevant experience in the financial industry, esp. trading bonds, is a big plus.
- Blockchain technologies (Quorum, Ethereum)
- AI Neural Networks
- Performed front-end development (HTML5/CSS)
- Messaging (Kafka)
- Hacked on open source projects
- Containerization and orchestration platforms (Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Cloud platforms (Azure, AWS or GCS)
About our team
Working with Othera gives you the opportunity to work full time with experts in blockchain technology and be at the leading edge of its deployment into the financial ecosystem. Othera’s team consists of a diverse mix of experienced financial gurus, business experts, mathematicians and programmers who love what they do and are driven to succeed.
Together we are trying to achieve what others have yet to imagine. We are constantly trying new things and solving complex problems. Our teams are autonomous, yet collaborative and from the CEO down to the newest recruit, we all frown on micromanagement. Othera is a place to thrive and develop your new skills and if you can’t find something intriguing to work on and challenge yourself, then we will work to help you unleash your potential.
About our benefits
While we double down when the pressure is on there’s always time for the fun stuff! We chill out at weekly demos, get together for team lunches and events, and love a good one-liner to lift the mood!
This is an opportunity to make an impact, have an employee number that will count, to stop being a cog in the wheel and to receive equity options commensurate with your hard work and commitment.
Our offices are open and highly collaborative. We have big windows with plenty of natural light and great city views.
To keep everyone nourished and refreshed there are free breakfast options, snacks and drinks and EVERYONE gets their birthday off. Pretty cool!
Museum and Town Hall stations are close and Hyde Park is walking distance if you need some sun. We’ve found the best coffee haunts and we will happily debate the pros and cons of the options that are available on your first day!
What are you waiting for? Othera is on track to be a global fintech with high growth potential. Come work with passionate peers on cool and interesting technical and business challenges in the age of blockchain and what has been dubbed the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Get in touch! Send us your CV together with your LinkedIn page or a project your proud of.