Senior Electrical Engineer, Protection and NERC Compliance
- Reno, NV, USA
- Departments: Technical Services
Ormat serves the changing world of electricity generation, distributed generation and demand management by enabling a comprehensive umbrella of solutions starting from energy and demand response management and energy storage systems. We provide grid operators with the power to enhance grid performance, stability and responsiveness – while delivering capacity at the right time and the right price.
We also provide commercial, industrial and municipality clients with reliability and power quality solutions as well as peak shaving and demand charge management solutions to lower their utility bill and, in the unregulated markets, provide ancillary market services to generate revenue.
Leveraging the skills of Ormat Technologies and Viridity Energy Solutions teams of energy solutions and storage experts, we have an extensive track record of successfully delivering projects in the US electricity markets.
Note: New employees will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, subject to potential reasonable accommodation due to medical issues or sincerely held religious beliefs.
This position is responsible for providing engineering support in the area of protection systems, plant electrical power distribution, NERC compliance, and process controls and instrumentation for any of the Ormat operating facilities.
• Specifies, selects, and applies protective relaying equipment, determines device settings, and develops protection/control philosophy
• Complete relay coordination analyses and determine appropriate settings
• Applies technical expertise and knowledge in developing solutions for protection problems
• Prepare test plans for relays and other devices
• Ensure compliance with applicable NERC standards by preparing test plans, performing calculations, developing protection settings, performing testing
• Responsible for preparing specifications, providing installation support, configuration and maintenance of power distribution systems and process control system elements
• Responsible for electrical and control activities for plant sites in accordance with all applicable permits, laws and rules
• Responsible for consulting and providing engineering support in regards to power distribution and process control
• Responsible for developing solutions for equipment issues and operational longevity in a cost effective manner
• Assists management in identifying and improving plant electrical and controls equipment, process control methodology, and data tracking records
• Must be able to quickly physically access all areas of the plants
• Performs trouble shooting and repairs of plant electrical power and control systems
• Schedules and coordinates field related activities in conjunction with Management
• Strictly adhere to and enforce all safety procedures
• Must be able to travel to other locations, including rural areas to work on projects
• Other duties and projects as assigned by management
Education, Experience, and Skills Required
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with a specialization in power systems and professional training and/or college courses in a related field
• Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) with Five (5) years of experience (or eight (8) years without a PE license) in power generation, transmission, and/or distribution with hands-on experience in operations, maintenance and project implementation related to power generation, turbine-generators and auxiliary equipment, power and control systems
• Experience using electrical system modeling software (ETAP preferred)
• Working knowledge of NERC Standards as applicable to Generator Owners and Generator Operators
• Working knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC) and NFPA 70E: Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace
• Experience in design and installation of low, medium and high voltage power distribution systems
• Must be able to read and understand blueprints, drawings, specifications, sketches and technical documentation
• The ability to methodically troubleshoot electrical and control systems
• Must have a high degree of initiative, ability to work with minimal or no supervision and a high level of confidentiality
• Must have strong organizational and interpersonal skills
• Must be able to respond calmly and think clearly in emergency situations
• Must have the ability to read, write and speak English at a level that will permit the employee to understand and communicate information in a manner that will enable the employee to safely and efficiently perform the job duties
• Must possess at any time a valid driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to ORMAT’s auto insurance carrier
• Must be able to work in plant operating areas including exposure to noise, vibrations, heat and cold
• Must be able to wear any required protective equipment, as required by safety procedures and regulations
• Job requires sitting and/or standing for long periods of time with moderate bending, stooping, and kneeling
• The ability to work at a computer and computer monitor and use repetitive motion for long periods of time
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.