- Reno, NV, USA
- Departments: Resources
Headquartered in Reno, Nevada, Ormat is a leading geothermal company and the only vertically integrated company solely engaged in geothermal and recovered energy generation (REG), with the objective of becoming a leading global provider of renewable energy.
The position is responsible for conducting geologic field evaluations of geothermal exploration projects and integrating them with existing published data to assist in the definition of new development projects. Candidate recommendations to be reviewed by higher level geologists.
· Researches prospect characteristics, including rock types, alteration, geothermal surface manifestations.
· Mines data existing drilling information, including temperature, pressure, flow tests, lithology, etc.
· Maps geology.
· Builds project GIS and 3D geologic models and analyzes data to improve geologic understanding.
· Targets wells for exploration and/or development drilling.
· Generates new prospects and play concepts.
· Assesses new sites for acquisition and communicates recommendations to manager and management.
· Collects fluid samples for analysis, oversees well logging operations, and assists engineers with flow tests.
· Must possess at any time a valid driver’s license with a driving record acceptable to ORMAT’s auto insurance carrier.
· Must have the ability to travel to other locations, including international and developing countries.
· Must have the ability to travel long distances by car and air.
· File reports and samples with regulatory agencies.
· Maintain well files and other geotechnical files.
· Assist drilling staff in location of access roads and well pads.
· Maintain inventories on exploration materials and equipment.
· Performs other duties and projects as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
· Bachelor’s Degree in Geology, a Master’s degree is preferred.
· Demonstration of independent work and excellent technical communication.
· Relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
· A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required.
· Must have field mapping experience, structural background experience, and geophysical or geochemical training.
· Must be able to use and acquire knowledge of a variety of computer software applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation. Must be proficient in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and use of the Internet.
· Proficiency in computer applications such as CAD, GIS, ENVI, Global Mapper, Rockworks, and Surfer is required.
· Must be able to read, write and speak English at a level which will permit the employee to accurately understand and communicate information to safely and efficiently perform the job duties.
· Works under general supervision of Resource Manager and Chief Geologist.
· The ability to navigate and work in remote field locations and work outdoors in difficult weather
· The ability to walk, hike, and work on steep, rough terrain for extended periods of time.
· The ability to safely operate 4WD light vehicles on highways and off-road.
· The ability to wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
· The ability to periodically lift 50 lbs.
· The ability to travel approximately 50% of time.
· The ability to work in an office environment
· The ability to work at a computer and computer monitor for long periods of time and stay alert.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.