Director of Security Operations - Managed Detection and Response
- Overland Park, KS, USA
- Travel Required: 30 - 39%
At Optiv, we’re on a mission to help our clients make their businesses more secure. We’re one of the fastest growing companies in a truly essential industry.
In your role at Optiv, you’ll be inspired by a team of the brightest business and technical minds in cyber security. We are passionate champions for our clients, and know from experience that the best solutions for our clients’ needs come from working hard together. As part of our team, your voice matters, and you will do important work that has impact, on people, businesses and nations. Our industry and our company move fast, and you can be sure that you will always have room to learn and grow. We’re proud of our team and the important work we do to build confidence for a more connected world.
Who we are looking for:
The Director of Security Operations Detection and Response is responsible to ensure early and accurate detection, response, and containment for threats directed against our clients. As a technical management role, the ideal candidate possesses deep security knowledge/expertise, previous experience as a security practitioner, systems management and administration experience, proven service management skills, and the ability to attract and retain talent in a challenging market. The position is closely involved in helping to mentor, develop and evaluate employee performance as well as helping with development and continuous improvement of the Security Operations services.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Lead 24x7 Detection and Response and threat hunting teams providing operational and strategic planning, including fostering innovation, planning projects, and organizing and negotiating the allocation of resources.
- Work closely with customers on reporting, stewardship calls and in the case of escalations.
- Enforce all policies and procedures, including those for security, disaster recovery, standards and service provision.
- Drive continuous refinement and improvement of detection and response, threat hunting and incident response processes.
- Grow and mature our Threat Intelligence Program.
- Oversee the security of Client systems via Managed Detection and Response Service (MDR).
- Keep current with the latest vendor updates, expansion opportunities, and technology directions, utilized in the Clients environment.
- Collaborate and consult with other Group Managers on the overall advancement of the Security Operations organization and Optiv in general.
- Direct and drive process and documentation improvement.
- Manage financial aspects with Leadership for the Detection and Response group, including preparation for purchasing, budgeting, and budget review.
- Compile, negotiate and administer vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements as required.
- Manage staffing, including recruitment, supervision, scheduling, development, evaluation, and disciplinary actions.
- Develop and maintain an educational environment where the knowledge and performance of the group is constantly advancing.
- Perform staff performance appraisals.
- Ensure timely reporting of security control gaps and vulnerabilities to the customer.
- Stay abreast of evolving risks, new developments in the security industry and industry best practices in risk management, threat analysis and threat response techniques.
- Attend info security related events and network with industry peers to inform engineering and operations processes of effective risk mitigation strategies for attacks.
- Oversee team’s production of threat intelligence reports that communicate the results of the analyses to the respective audience.
- Responsible for joint team effort to normalize data from vulnerability assessment, penetration test, incident response and application security project deliverables.
- Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, other group heads regarding pertinent activities.
- Develop and mentor staff through open communication, training and development opportunities, and performance management processes; build and maintain employee morale and motivation.
Detection and Response Management will report to the Senior Director Security Operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree from four-year college or university in Information Technology, Information Security/Assurance, Engineering or similar area of study required.
- 15+ years professional IT and Information Security experience
- 5+ years leading technical Detection and Response teams
- 5+ years professional experience in cyber operations centers
- 3+ years professional experience in managed services
- One or more certifications in Security/Networking including Security+, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, CISSP, CISM, CISA or other security specific vendor/product certifications
- Proven ability to make decisions and perform complex problem-solving activities under pressure.
- Advanced business acumen required.
- Sharp analytical abilities and the ability to make sound decisions quickly required.
- Deep understanding of SIEM vendors, solutions and architecture such as LogRhythm, QRadar, Splunk, Exabeam, etc.
- Deep understanding of EDR vendors, solutions and architecture such as Crowdstrike, Cylance, Carbon Black, Microsoft ATP.
- Deep understanding of regulatory compliance such as NIST, SOX, HIPPA, NERC CIP, PCI, etc. and their differentiators across global regions
- Deep understanding of laws pertaining to cyber security and their differentiators across global regions
- Understanding of Security Orchestration, Automation and Response concepts.
- Experience working with ticketing and knowledge management systems such as Service Now.
- Experience with ITIL concepts and practices.
- Experience with security analytics platforms such as Kibana.
- Experience with reporting platforms such as DOMO and PowerBI
Why you’ll love it here:
If you are seeking a culture that supports growth, fosters success and moves the industry forward, find your place at Optiv! As a market-leading provider of cyber security solutions, Optiv has the most comprehensive ecosystem of security products and partners to deliver unparalleled services. Our rich and successful history with our clients is based on trust, serving more than 12,000 clients of varying sizes and industries, including commercial, government and education. We have the proven expertise to plan, build, and run successful security programs across Risk Management, Cyber Digital Transformation, Threat Management, Security Operations – Managed Services and Identity and Data Management. Optiv remains committed to championing Diversity, Equality and Inclusion within our organization and throughout the industry.
With Optiv you can expect:
- Work/life balance. We offer “Recharge” a flexible, time-off program that encourages eligible employees to take the time they need to recharge
- Professional training resources, including tuition reimbursement
- Creative problem-solving and the ability to tackle unique, complex projects
- Volunteer Opportunities. “Optiv Chips In” encourages employees to volunteer and engage with their teams and communities.
- The ability and technology necessary to productively work remote/from home (where applicable)
Optiv is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, status as an individual with a disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.