Principal SIEM Engineer
- Frisco, TX
At Optiv, we’re on a mission to help our clients make their businesses more secure. We’re one of the fastest growing companies in a truly essential industry.
In your role at Optiv, you’ll be inspired by a team of the brightest business and technical minds in cyber security. We are passionate champions for our clients, and know from experience that the best solutions for our clients’ needs come from working hard together. As part of our team, your voice matters, and you will do important work that has impact, on people, businesses and nations. Our industry and our company move fast, and you can be sure that you will always have room to learn and grow. We’re proud of our team and the important work we do to build confidence for a more connected world.
The Principal SIEM Engineer works in Optiv Security’s 24x7x365 Security Operations Center as a member of the Managed Security Services (MSS) team. The employee will be responsible for creation of procedures, implementation of processes and development of staff for managing and maintaining security systems across internal and client environments. Experience and knowledge of SIEM or Situational Awareness are essential. The Principal Engineer will work closely with Management, Senior Engineers, Solution Architects, Senior Security Engineers, other Principal Security Engineers and clients to complete high profile, critical services to existing Managed Security Service clients. This person will serve as a subject matter expert and team lead for Managed Security Services, staying in tune with all client configuration issues and all internal projects.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead engineering team by prioritizing clients work requests, projects and service tasks.
- Work closely with Management, Service Delivery and other Principal Engineers in defining processes and procedures for internal projects.
- Guide the design, development and review of complex security SIEM content.
- Analyzes and identifies areas of improvement with existing processes, procedures and documentation.
- Develop individual team, defining strategies and responsibilities to be successful and grow.
- Develops internal training methods to support Managed Services and their clients.
- Act as the point of escalation for other Engineers (Associate Engineer, Security Engineer, & Senior Engineer) and provide guidance and mentoring.
- Assist with client transition and on-boarding serve as primary point of contact for Managed Security Service clients.
- This will require documentation of Account Governance processes and responsibility for report generation and notification to senior leadership about potential client Service Level Agreement (SLA) issues.
- Explain and demonstrate how to use SIEM and Enterprise Security products to both technical and relatively non-technical personnel.
- Provide remote consulting services via interactive client sessions to assist with implementation of multiple product vendors and technologies.
- Implement and configure SIEM software and appliance-based products in large enterprise and Government environments.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years professional experience managing and maintaining SIEM systems.
- 2-3 years professional experience working with networks and network architecture.
- 1+ year professional experience writing SIEM content.
- Prior experience in a technical team leadership role.
- College degree or equivalent training with experience working in a Security Operations Center, Managed Security, or client network environment.
- Advanced information security knowledge in one or more areas such as Enterprise end-point security products (i.e. McAfee e-Policy Orchestrator, Virus Scan, Anti-Spyware, Host Data Loss Protection, Endpoint Encryption, etc.) Security Information and Event Manager (SIEM), to include: NitroSecurity ArcSight Q1 Labs RSA Envision Network Firewall, Web Proxy, E-Mail and Web Gateway etc. to include: Palo Alto / Checkpoint / Juniper / McAfee / Cisco / Blue Coat / Imperva.
- Understanding of network architecture and implementation is a must; ideal candidate will have worked with network security analysis.
- Experience with content SIEM content creation and reporting.
- Excellent time management, reporting, and communication skills.
- Superior IT problem-solving skills.
- Experience with Linux OS.
- Shift flexibility, including the ability to provide on call support when needed
- Demonstrated experience and success in a Managed Service client environment
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to work greater than 40 hours per week as needed
- Ability to travel up to 10 percent of the time
- Experience working with Internal and client ticketing and knowledge base systems for Incident and Problem Tracking, as well as procedures. (i.e. Jira, Confluence, etc.).
- General security knowledge (GIAC, CISSP, CCSE, CISA, HBSS, NSA, CEH, Cisco Security, Security +, or other security certifications).
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows Operating Systems.
- An understanding of a wide array of server grade applications such as: DBMS, Exchange, DNS, SMTP, IIS, Apache, SharePoint, Active Directory, Identity Management, Patch Management, LDAP, SQL, and others.
- Experience with various SIEM security products such as: ArcSight, QRadar, Nitro, Splunk, LogRhythm and infrastructure components such as proxies, firewalls, IDS/IPS, DLP etc.
- CCNA, CCDA, CCSA, CCIE, CISSP, CEH, or MCSE.
- Familiarity with DevOps
- Prior consulting experience
Why you’ll love it here:
If you are seeking a culture that supports growth, fosters success and moves the industry forward, find your place at Optiv! Optiv’s mission is to deliver comprehensive, integrated cybersecurity programs to optimize customer security programs to be more effective, efficient, manageable and measurable. Our aim is to become the world’s largest cybersecurity solutions integrator by leveraging our expertise in security technology, market-leading services, and innovative approaches. We have served more than 12,000 clients of various sizes across multiple industries, we offer an extensive geographic footprint, and have premium partnerships with more than 350 of the leading security product manufacturers. Optiv is a privately-held company backed by KKR, a leading global private equity firm.
With Optiv you can expect:
- An entrepreneurial and collaborative environment
- A competitive total rewards program
- Professional training opportunities
- Engaging and fun culture
- Opportunity to work with industry leading, talented peers