SOC Network Engineer | Milwaukee, WI
- Milwaukee, WI, USA
- Travel Required: 0 - 9%
At Optiv, we’re on a mission to help our clients make their businesses more secure. We’re one of the fastest growing companies in a truly essential industry.
In your role at Optiv, you’ll be inspired by a team of the brightest business and technical minds in cyber security. We are passionate champions for our clients, and know from experience that the best solutions for our clients’ needs come from working hard together. As part of our team, your voice matters, and you will do important work that has impact, on people, businesses and nations. Our industry and our company move fast, and you can be sure that you will always have room to learn and grow. We’re proud of our team and the important work we do to build confidence for a more connected world.
The SOC Network Engineer is key member of a 24x7 team of security experts providing security platform management and operations for global fortune 500 clients. The SOC Network Engineer will help deliver the Optiv vision of redefining traditional SOC operations using automation, orchestration and analytics.
The SOC Network Engineer’s role is to provide streamlined platform management and security operations primarily for solutions that align with the following categories: Network Firewall, Intrusion Prevention Systems, Network Monitoring, Unified Threat Management, Web Security, Web Application Firewall, and Cloud Security.
In addition, the SOC Network Engineer believes and lives the Next Generation SOC guiding principles:
- Deliver quality security outcomes
- Drive efficient and timely operations
- Actualize continual improvement and innovation
- Protect the customer
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Actively participate in a 24x7 delivery team, which may include on-call and weekend work.
- Manage assigned security platforms, following clients procedures if required, which includes:
• Device health and availability monitoring
• Device health incident resolution and escalation
• Configuration changes and request processing
• Device tuning and patching
• Major upgrade and enhancements review
• Hardware replacement management
• License management
- Create and maintain operational documentation required for technology management processes or to maintain device health.
- Complete assigned projects on time and with excellent quality.
- Be a thought leader in security engineering and operations delivery - driving automation, analytics, and advanced threat analysis.
- Continually improving delivery processes in order to drive operational excellence.
- Make recommendations for the improvement and growth of the Next Generation infrastructure and systems.
- Participate in quarterly business reviews with vendors and customers.
- Keep current with the latest vendor updates, expansion opportunities, and technology directions for all assigned platforms.
- Practice continual self-improvement thru education, training, and certification.
- Document time spent on each client daily.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology, Information Security/Assurance, Engineering or similar area of study; at least 5 years' related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of Information Security and Networking required.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of current network security, network hardware, protocols, and standards required.
- Proven ability to diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues required
- Proven ability to make decisions and perform complex problem-solving activities under pressure.
- Previous management and project leadership experience required.
- Experience with one or more of the following security platforms:
- Palo Alto Network Firewalls, Global Protect, and Panorama
- Cisco Sourcefire
- Algosec Firewall Management
- 5+ years Security Engineering or Information Security experience.
- 5+ years networking experience.
- At least one certification in Security including Security+, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, CISSP, CISM or other security-specific vendor/product certifications.
- Certification in platforms listed under Required Skills, such as Palo Alto Networks Certified Network Security Engineer (PCNSE), Sourcefire Certified Professional (SFCP), or Algosec Solutions Expert (FMSE)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.