Senior Site Reliability Engineer, CDN
- San Francisco, CA, USA
- Department: Engineering
Optimizely is the world's leader in customer experience optimization, allowing businesses to dramatically drive up the value of their digital products, commerce and campaigns through its best in class experimentation software platform. By replacing digital guesswork with evidence-based results, Optimizely enables product and marketing professionals to accelerate innovation, lower the risk of new features, and drive up the return on investment from digital by up to 10X. Over 26 of the Fortune 100 companies choose Optimizely to power their global digital experiences. Optimizely’s impressive customer list includes eBay, FOX, IBM, The New York Times and many more global enterprises.
SREs at Optimizely are focused on making Optimizely the most reliable, performant and trustworthy Digital Experience Optimization platform ever. Our engineering teams have built data pipelines that process 10 billion events daily and applications that support powerful experimentation and collaboration workflows at scale. Our platforms are built on AWS and GCP. We use technologies such as Cloudflare Workers, Akamai, PostgreSQL, and Honeycomb. We build and manage our systems using tools such as Travis CI, Jenkins, Docker, and Terraform This is a unique opportunity to lead the engineering organization in areas of state-of-the-art observability, service-oriented architectural excellence, and forward-looking planning and execution of large technical projects.
How will you make an impact
- Set up strong monitoring and alerting on our CDN providers for our assets delivered
- Understand the performance in each region across all our CDN providers
- Make improvements to our CDN performance via configuration changes; E.g. know and make recommendations to caching strategies (TTL, header values, etc)
- Streamline collection of RUM metrics on the backend (we have around 1.6 billion activations of our JS per day, each of which sends RUM data back - currently we sample at < 1% but we’d like to scale this up)
- Speed up queries and report generation of RUM data using our query engine (currently we use Chartio.io that queries AWS RDS instances - we need to speed this up and are open to recommendations here to change our core stack)
- Respond to CDN emergencies as the primary point-of-contact
- Work with our customer success teams to triage CDN issues reported by customers
- Interface with our CDN vendors, negotiate contracts with them, reduce our costs, suggest new vendors
- Implement a CDN onboarding strategy where we test out new CDN vendors for a while before signing up a new contract with them
- Establish internal best practices around CDN usage and help product teams integrate our CDN into their architecture with the right caching strategy
- Keep up with developments in the CDN industry, seek out new ways to leverage them at Optimizely. Prototype their usage.
- You are comfortable to strong with scripting tools (e.g. Python, Ruby, Unix shell, etc.), monitoring tools (e.g. Catchpoint, Speedcurve, etc.), and command line tools (e.g. dig, trace, etc.)
- You have a deep understanding of DNS, Anycast, global Internet routing architecture, major exchange points, CDN standards and diagnostics. E.g. you are able to observe, troubleshoot, and explain routing issues
- You can architect, implement and integrate tools, processes and appropriate homegrown solutions when necessary to monitor, balance and troubleshoot multiple CDNs on a global scale. E.g., you are able to use monitoring insights to drive changes in CDN configuration via APIs.
- You are able to define and execute continual coverage plans for critical pieces of infrastructure
- Bonus points if you have experience managing relationships with vendors on large contracts (>$1mm)
At Optimizely, we embody inclusion and embrace diversity. We believe in work/life balance and bringing our true selves to work. To that end, we offer best-in-class perks and benefits that support our Optinauts along their career journey with us. Read more about our culture at optimizely.com/careers.
Optimizely is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Optimizely prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual identity, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, nationality, citizenship, age, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, or any other unlawful consideration. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.