Senior Software Engineer (Platform)
- 2104 Market St, Philadelphia, PA 19103, USA
- Employees can work remotely
Oncora is an oncology software and data company dedicated to helping physicians and scientists collect and use real-world data to improve outcomes for cancer patients. Our machine learning algorithms, which are deployed in active clinical environments, accurately predict oncology outcomes such as unplanned hospitalization, survival, and recurrence. Our software products include: a clinical workflow and data entry system for oncology clinical care, a data warehouse that leverages connections to other healthcare software systems such as EMRs, PACS, to amass real-world, regulatory-grade oncology data, a machine learning platform to train and validate predictive models of key oncology events, a machine learning API to power external software tools, and a virtual clinical trial platform that allows pharma and device companies to leverage automated medical image analysis to advance new technologies in the fight to cure cancer. We work with world-leading cancer centers such as MD Anderson and Northwell Health, global device companies such as Varian Medical Systems, and innovative biopharma companies. Our team is mission-driven to its core.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced engineer to join our mission driven team to help develop our data platform that integrates and transforms multiple imperfect and messy healthcare data sources into clean, usable data so that we can learn from every cancer patient.
As a core member of our Platform and Integrations team, you will play a vital role in designing and building our core data platform and helping scale it to serve additional hospitals. You will lead major improvements to our data infrastructure and apply your skills in software development, architecture and data modeling to get things done.
We are a small team trying to tackle a very large problem, so we need teammates that are ultimately accountable to themselves and continuously push themselves, the product and the organization forward.
What you will be doing:
- Designing and implementing improvements to our data extraction and transformation processes to increase performance and stability
- Architecting our data warehousing and reporting capabilities to support real-time analysis of tens of thousands of patients representing millions of data points
- Incrementally evolving our platform architecture and infrastructure without disrupting operations
- Overseeing and monitoring our existing data platforms for stability, performance and accuracy
- Working with Product and Engineering to define, document, and build transformations to extract intelligence from multiple incomplete and siloed data sources
- Building pipelines to de-identify and consolidate cross-institutional data to fuel predictive analytics, research, and clinical trials
- Building visibility into all aspects of our data platform (workflow status, system health, data lineage, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience independently leading complex software projects
- A strong base of software engineering experience, typically 5-8+ years, with a good portion of that leading the development of data platforms, pipelines or data-intensive projects
- Deep understanding of multiple database technologies, for example relational, document, key/value, columnar, etc (we use Postgres, MongoDB, Redis, and ElasticSearch)
- Experience building asynchronous and distributed systems (we use RabbitMQ)
- Fluency with a functional or imperative language (we use Python)
- A focus on writing understandable, testable, and maintainable code
- Familiarity with modern containerized environments (we use Docker & Kubernetes)
Experience with healthcare data standards and integrations (HL7, FHIR, DICOM, etc.)
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks:
- Salary: $110k-170k plus equity compensation
- 401k, health and dental insurance, flexible vacation, paid parental leave
- eBooks, online courses, home office budget
- Events: happy hours, team dinners, conversations with oncologists (will return soon!)
- Work with smart, passionate people on a product that will have a direct impact on the lives of cancer patients
What to expect in the hiring process:
- Introductory phone call with the Head of Operations (30 minutes zoom call)
- Phone interview with VP of Engineering (60 min zoom call)
- Virtual onsite, including a pair programming session, engineering team meet, and co-founder meet (90-120 minute zoom call)
- Final stages, potential follow-up interviews, and offer discussions
Oncora Medical is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, sex, religious creed, disability, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.