Vice President of Engineering
- 254 W 54th St, New York, NY 10019, USA
Looking for a high growth start up opportunity where you can combine your experience in technology and engineering with your passion for the performing arts? Want to join a growing and diverse team of professionals bringing a Broadway caliber technology platform to performing arts organizations coast to coast? We are looking for a passionate, ambitious senior engineering professional who excels at process building, problem solving, cross functional collaboration, owning projects end to end, enjoys the company building process, is excited to roll up their sleeves on projects big and small, and can partner closely with the executive team to position the company to continue to accelerate growth at scale.
About our Company
On The Stage provides an all-in-one online SaaS platform designed for community, education, and independent theatre makers, and was created by theatre professionals with real experience in the tech industry. We make Broadway caliber technology tools available to empower live arts producers to achieve their creative and financial goals. On The Stage provides an inclusive environment that welcomes people to join us and make a difference for our client arts organizations.
Our end-to-end SaaS platform includes a comprehensive online ticketing system, public-facing promotional sites, marketing automation workflows, live capture and streaming software, and other best-in-class resources. We are a hyper growth start up in a space ripe for disruption, growing over 100% YOY. The right person will have the opportunity for significant career advancement as we scale and build out our team.
Founded by a Tony Award winning producer, led by serial tech entrepreneurs with multiple successful exits between them, and funded by a group of angel investors experienced in both tech and the Arts who are focused on empowering theatre markers with great technology.
- Creativity thrives when artists and educators have the resources they need.
- Live Art is most successful in a sustainable environment of mutual appreciation and exchange with its audience.
- Everyone deserves access to the tools and support they need to bring their artistic visions into the world.
We’re in the business of technology, but in service to the arts.
This is an opportunity to accelerate your career while working in an high paced start up with high levels of ownership, autonomy, and opportunity to drive the business forward. The VP of Engineering position is a critical part of our team and will be an integral part of scaling our business while working closely with the management team. Your skills and enthusiasm to perform well in this early stage opportunity has tremendous upside for you in growth and compensation. This is a Senior level position that requires experience across multiples parts of the technology and an engineering function including partnering directly with key business leaders to drive feature sets, process, workflow, reporting, delivery and market expansion.
- Make executive decisions on behalf of the company's technology and engineering requirements.
- Act as an internal and external ambassador for the technology and engineering function to the Company
- Serve as a member of the senior executive team, working in an interdisciplinary manner with the CEO/President/CTO and peers in other departments (Product, Marketing, Support, Sales, Operations, Finance) to help develop company strategy and product strategy.
- Manage and contribute to the forward looking technology budgets and planning
- Build and staff the technology and engineering organizational structures to anticipate and deliver on long-term growth of the team and the company.
- Ensure that engineering resources meet the company's short and long-term needs
- Actively invest in and own the hiring process for the engineering team.
- Cultivate a pipeline of diverse and high quality talent
- Act as a leader and mentor to your team
- Provide the context and strategy so team members can make good decisions independently.
- Serve on the Product Committee in helping to determine the needs, scope, priorities and planning for the product suite.
- Work hand in hand with the Head of Product in the planning and delivery of feature sets.
- Oversee the realization of the Engineering portions of the product plan though setting the priorities and timelines for all agreed projects, and overseeing the development, testing, release and deployment of those projects.
- Oversee the technical architecture for products and data flows for the company
- Oversee the design and implementation of internal development processes for the predictable and sustainable execution of these timelines by the engineering team.
Infrastructure / DevOps
- Have responsibility for all Production Environments for all company products
- Oversee and own the touch-points and endpoints to other upstream, downstream, internal and external 3rd party systems necessary for the products and company to function (e.g. finance systems, sales and marketing systems etc)
- Define stability and scalability requirements for the products to meet or exceed those expected of the industry,
- Ensure the Production Environment can scale to meet the long-term growth needs of the company, and can meet or exceed the defined stability and scalability requirements.
- Oversee and own test and development environments as necessary, and automated testing suite and processes.
- Partner with outside experts to ensure compliance with industry standards (security audits, penetration tests, externally mandated service audits (SSAE 16 etc)
- Stay on top of product and technology trends and developments and provide the company direction on technology best practices like testing, SDLC, and support.
- Partner with our experts to ensure all technology practices adhere to regulatory and ethical standards (e.g. privacy standards etc)
- A minimum of 15 years in building and managing large, complex, scalable web applications. Our existing software stack includes React, Node.js, MySQL, MongoDB. In addition to the aforementioned, we continuously evaluate and adopt new open source technologies best suited to solve the needs of our clients
- Experience with AWS cloud architecture and implementation
- Excellent knowledge of leading web browsers and their troubleshooting and debugging practices and techniques
- A solid understanding of wireframing, user interaction and visual design.
- Proven track record of managing all aspects of a successful product throughout its lifecycle
- Experience in prioritizing feature requests and challenging institutional thinking.
- A good eye for the overall user experience
- Demonstrated ability in building and managing teams.
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally, collaborate, influence and work as part of a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- The ability to deftly navigate a path between the needs of the business, the needs of the end user, and the available technology to find the best win/win solution
- Ability to prioritize competing tasks, work autonomously, and understand technical trade-offs
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science
- Comfortable working in a startup environment, willing to roll up your sleeves with a “no task too small” mentality
- When required, a willingness to be a broad generalist, wear many hats, and lend a hand to react to changing requirements
- Approach technical challenges with an open mind and desire to innovate.
- Appreciate great design and thrive in a creative environment.
- SaaS experience and experience with payments platforms a plus
- Bonus if you have a background or a strong interest in the Performing Arts Industry and/or a box office, ticketing or a related live event space
Compensation: This is a full time job with benefits. Compensation is competitive. Equity may be available.
Equal Opportunity Statement
On The Stage is committed to strengthening our culture of inclusion through our hiring practices. We recognize and celebrate that we are better able to grow and learn together with a diverse team. When recruiting for On The Stage, we welcome the unique contributions that diversity of personal experiences brings to the team. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. All are welcome at On The Stage. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.