Sous Chef - Drift
Owning a strong connection to place, Drift is an ode to Nova Scotia’s land, people and history. Located on the main level of the newly built five-star Muir Hotel, Drift’s salon, bar and promenade offers an environment that evokes a one-of-a-kind sense of place, along with almost-surreal harbourfront views within a simple, modern and stylish setting. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner daily, as well as weekend brunch, Drift’s menus represent a modern interpretation of Atlantic Canadian classics. Drift’s chefs maintain close relationships with Nova Scotia purveyors, and source the finest products across the East Coast–from fennel to fiddleheads. Chefs take a clean, contemporary approach to plating, while ensuring each dish still feels approachable and not too fussy.
What's in it for you?
- Competitive salary
- Gratuity sharing
- Health, Dental and Visions benefits with Enhanced Mental Health Coverage
- Discounted gym membership and Employee Assistance Program
- Group Life & Disability Insurance
- Management Uniform Reimbursement
- Monthly dining allowance for all O&B locations
- 50% Dining Discount for all O&B and Freehand locations
- Uniform Allowance
- RRSP Matching
- Tuition Reimbursement
- You are passionate and articulate about food and beverage
- You value relentless innovation and kick-ass creativity
- You value positivity, honesty and respect
- You aim to leave lasting, positive impressions on every guest through intelligent, enthusiastic and emotional service.
- You celebrate diversity and recognize that we are strongest when we apply the sum of our personal energies, our collective genius
Our Sous Chefs have a proven track record of cooking in a demanding environment as well as experience in recruiting, training, development and overall management of their cooks. Our Sous Chefs are hands on with cooking and managing their teams.
The Day to Day
- Communicates the restaurant's vision to all team members and leads by example. Reinforces the Freehand values daily and inspires the team with his/her exciting vision for the restaurant's future.
- Consistently monitors kitchen operations and cleanliness
- Builds and maintains relationships with team members and front of house management alike
- Follows proper ordering, inventory and receiving procedures
- Shows leadership in creating a culture that revolves around the experience and enjoyment of food and cooking
- Demonstrates high personal integrity, business ethics and takes every opportunity to promote the restaurant
- Conducts recruitment and selection, training and development initiatives as well as performance management and employee coaching
- Uses conflict/resolution and problem solving skills
- Other duties as assigned
- Previous Sous Chef or Chef de Cuisine experience in a similar environment
- Passion for food & culinary excellence
- High level of integrity
- Discipline and vision
- Ability to build and nurture relationships; strong team leadership and interpersonal skills
- Reputation for paying fanatical attention to detail
- Drive and takes initiative
- Exceptional communication skills with all levels of the organization
- Performs well in a performance based culture
- Is very hands on and motivates by setting the example
Freehand Hospitality's Diversity Commitment
At Freehand Hospitality, we are committed to treating every employee with dignity and respect. We strive to be fair and just, and create working environments where our employees can be at their best.
** We thank all applicants for their interest in Freehand Hospitality Restaurants; however, only suitable candidates will be contacted to continue the application process. **