A new addition to the East Coast, Freehand Hospitality is currently developing several unique chef-driven concepts in downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia. Launching throughout 2021 and 2022, our diverse portfolio of restaurants and bars will showcase a wide array of cooking styles—from upscale Maritime dining to casual Latin fare. Merging together globally inspired techniques with treasured Atlantic Canadian ingredients, along with warm and genuine hospitality, we are excited to contribute to the future of the region’s vibrant culinary scene—one bite at a time.
Our bakers are part scientist and part artist. They must know different techniques and must understand how each ingredient affects the dough, keeping up to date with changes in the industry. Our bakers are responsible for keeping ingredients fresh and tailoring recipes to the taste and preferences of our various fine dining restaurants.
*Please note that this is an overnight role, starting at midnight, 12:00am*
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Check production schedule to determine variety and quantity of goods to bake.
- Measure and mix ingredients to form dough or batter, following recipes.
- Place dough in pans, moulds, or on sheets and bake in oven. Observe products while cooking and adjust controls.
- Use a variety of kitchen tools, including electric mixers, pans, rolling pins, and cutting tools.
- Monitor baking process to identify needed adjustments.
- Handle and move ingredients, tools, and cooking pans.
- Control mixing processes and oven controls.
- Implement products by following recipes or creating new ones.
- May develop new recipes.
- Completed a Baker/Patisserie Apprentice Program and/or Baking and Pastry Arts Management program
- Minimum 3 years’ experience within a bakery or restaurant environment
- Knowledge in a wide range of ingredients.
- Knowledge of baking equipment and techniques.
- Knowledge in precautionary measures for possible hazards - WHMIS.
- Must also patient, detail-oriented, creative and organized.
- Able to work well independently and as part of a team.
** We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only suitable candidates will be contacted to continue the application process. **