Assistant Payroll Manager
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Ready for the next chapter of your career? Why not make one of Canada's leading restaurant groups a part of it! We value relentless innovation and kick-ass creativity! We provide advancement through training and development and our hands on managers empower people and awaken ability through responsibility and respect.
This position reports directly to the Payroll Manager and provides managerial oversight and direction to the Payroll Coordinators in relation to daily payroll operations. Maintains business continuity in the absence of the Payroll Manager. The Assistant Payroll Manager will provide input and support on team building, process improvements, system integrations, and document procedures for internal controls. The position will conduct internal audits periodically of various payroll areas and document recommendation for improvements and guidance of any changes. The Assistant Payroll Manager is extremely detail-oriented, possesses strong leadership skills and significant knowledge of payroll administration including provincial and federal regulations.
- Assists with hiring, training and providing direct supervision on day-to-day work for the Payroll Coordinators. This includes assigning, reviewing and evaluating work and when needed, providing training and guidance.
- Assists in the Implementation, maintenance, and review of payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions
- Prepares relevant weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports
- Prepares and reviews payroll account reconciliations
- Ensures compliance with federal, provincial, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices
- Facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors
- Identifies and recommends updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned and serves as Payroll Manager in the Payroll Manager’s absence
- Extensive knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes; 5+ years in Supervisory role/function
- Experience/knowledge of Dayforce WFM or similar payroll outsource provider
- Experience with multi-province ESA; processing of 1500+ Hourly and Salary payroll
- Experience in Retail or Hospitality industry an asset
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability and experience in handling sensitive and confidential information effectively and professionally
- Strong analytical, communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong supervisory, planning, organizing and leadership skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Navision, Microsoft Office Suite or related software
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Human Resources, or related field required.
- At least with PCP certification; working towards CPM certification an asset; knowledge of applicable local, provincial and federal employment rules and laws
- At least five years of related experience required.
** We thank all applicants for their interest in Oliver & Bonacini Hospitality; however, only suitable candidates will be contacted to continue the application process. **
No calls from recruiters please!