Octopus Renewables – Sales & Origination Manager
- 2HT, 33 Holborn, London EC1N 2HT, UK
- Department: Octopus Renewables Investments
- Sub Team: Octopus Renewables Investments
- Website Map: Yes
Octopus is a group of companies which invests in the people, ideas and industries that will help to change the world.
We believe that the companies serving two of our most important needs – our financial wellbeing and our planet’s future – are failing. And we want that to change. We want everything we do, whether that’s in financial services or energy supply, to have a positive impact on the people it touches.
In our financial services business, we care as much about the impact our investments have, as we do about the returns that we generate for our investors. We manage more than £9.1 billion* on behalf of retail and institutional investors, specialising in renewable energy, real estate, smaller company and venture capital investing.
Our energy supply business - Octopus Energy, is one of the fastest growing companies in the UK. It has grown from start-up to more than 1.7 million customers over the last four years and is now the #1 rated UK energy supply business, and the only one to be recommended by Which? three years in a row.
Octopus Energy, Octopus Giving, Octopus Investments, Octopus Renewables, Octopus Real Estate, Octopus Ventures, Octopus Moneycoach, Seccl Technology and Octopus Wealth are all part of Octopus Group. Visit octopusgroup.com.
Octopus Renewables have recently announced some exciting news, to read more about it: https://institutional.octopusgroup.com/insights/octopus-renewables-octopus-energy-combining-expertise/?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=or_oe_joining_forces&utm_content=chris_blog_or_oe260321)
Octopus Renewables sources, invests in and actively manages a wide range of utility scale energy assets. We are looking to expand our team as we continue to scale our investments base.
Since entering the renewables market in 2010, Octopus Renewables has grown to become the largest investor of solar power in Europe, and a leading investor in onshore wind. We currently manage a global portfolio of over £3bn renewable energy assets. The operational portfolio includes over 300 energy generating companies, delivering revenue in excess of £250m pa.
Our energy investment and asset management team of c.70 professionals is one of the largest and most experienced in Europe. The team is structured to support our rapid growth ambitions and long-term ownership of energy assets.
About the role:
The Octopus Renewables business model is based on acquiring renewable energy projects at varying stages in the project lifecycle. The projects are typically sourced from developers of the projects looking to sell the rights before construction, or existing asset owners that want to sell the projects after construction or a period of operating the asset. The origination work sits with the investment team who have many established relationships already. This purpose of the role is to help that team enhance their origination work (in the UK initially) through:
Leading the team in sourcing and building new relationships and sourcing investment opportunities from these relationships
- Your top priority at the start will be to call up businesses where there is not currently a well-established existing relationship and sound out potential to acquire their assets. You will quickly build a high-level understanding of how we price renewable energy assets sufficient to hold initial conversations with a potential seller and work out how best to pitch Octopus Renewables to these businesses, flexing to the requirements of each counterparty. You will become adept at identifying the best prospects and bringing in the investments team to these discussions when qualified. Where a qualified lead is established by the investment team, following up and helping the investment team take these leads through to executed deals will become the priority.
In quieter periods on this core origination work initially and longer term, when the market is well covered and building on established contacts takes less time, the role will expand to include:
Origination strategy work and profile building
- Updating the research of the market of asset owners and advisors that work with them. With support from analysts in the team, build out and manage a CRM of potential counterparties and advisors, and also to track completed deals. Assist in using this information to inform strategic decisions with senior management and aid prioritisation and efficiency in our origination work.
- Attend industry events to build profile and make new contacts. Potentially also present at events.
- Review competitor behaviour in the market to identify successful strategies that can be adopted.
Assisting the team in managing existing relationships effectively
- Assessing our existing relationships and identifying opportunities to enhance them. Identifying and implementing initiatives to secure more dealflow from the relationships through assessing the status of the relationship and ongoing -interactions but also tactfully securing feedback from the counterparties.
- Develop a structured approach to relationship management that builds on where this has worked well in the past but also introduces appropriate new ideas and initiatives.
- Review competitor behaviour in the market to identify successful strategies that can be adopted.
- Plan and attend meetings and social events, alongside the investment team, with key relationships that are tailored to their needs.
The role offers strong growth potential. This is currently the sole specialist sales and origination role within the team and for someone successful in the role there is an opportunity to take on more strategic influence, build and manage a budget for expanded origination activities and potentially longer-term to recruit and lead a team.
- A keen interest in the renewables sector is essential. The role requires a desire to build experience, knowledge and profile in the sector.
- Independent and driven - You will be target driven and own your own KPIs. You would have built sales skills which would allow you to build a business plan quickly and show results.
- Versatile – A large proportion of your time will be working as part of a team of investment professionals, not a team of salespeople. You must be comfortable with this environment and excited about working with people with different skills and experiences to your own as a specialist in sales and origination.
- Prior experience is required in a business development or sales role, ideally in a financial environment. Energy or renewables experience will be valued but is not essential.
- Excellent spoken and written communication, with the ability to influence internally and externally.
- Exceptional project management and organisational skills. Evidence of managing complex workloads in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong relationship management skills. An ability to work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders with varying requirements. Agility in flexing style and approach and an ability to read people and situations accurately.
- A strong desire to build a structured and well managed CRM process and ensuring that the information captured is up to date and used effectively in decision making.
- A basic understanding of financial concepts and valuation theories (debt, equity structures and discounted cash flow analysis).
The following characteristics will be considered valued in this role:
- Delivery – You will be focused on achieving results in the short and long term. A self-starter with tenacity, initiative and a willingness to commit to deliver. Resilience you have built up in your career will be evident from your past achievements.
- Listening – You will be a great listener and know when to ask what questions at what time.
- Integrity – Empathise with your colleagues and clients. Lead by example i.e. treat others as you would expect to be treated.
- Positivity – Celebrate success of your team and others. Be part of a positive team atmosphere in which it is a pleasure to work.
- Quality – You aspire to a high quality of service and responsiveness in all your dealings with clients and colleagues.
- Teamwork – A strong team player with the confidence to exercise judgement appropriately, challenge and coordinate with colleagues at all levels of seniority.
- Improvement – a creative and entrepreneurial mindset to continually improve the way we work and the results we achieve.
Our Values and DNA
At Octopus we don’t just focus on what we do but also how we do it. Everyone shares our values of being straightforward, helpful and bold. And while these are the principles that guide us as an organisation, our DNA goes even further, by revealing our inner strength:
We are loyal: we fully buy-in to the company’s vision and believe in everything that Octopus stands for. We are respectful: we live and breathe the Octopus values of being helpful, straightforward and bold. We are resilient: we have an inner strength that means we never give in We are intellectually curious: we seek to understand how the world works and we’re always learning, adapting and improving We understand who our customers are: and because we know them really well, we always give them our very best.
What we offer
Octopus has built an exciting and inclusive high-performance culture where employees feel empowered. This means we welcome discussions around flexible working hours. We also understand the value of diversity, and we have a team dedicated to promoting gender, ethnic, socio-economic, LGBT and disability equality, to make sure we back up our words with actions. All Octopus employees are given the opportunity to develop new skills, aim higher and accelerate their careers.