- Milwaukee, WI
You and Northwestern Mutual. We believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. And we’re much stronger together than we are apart. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they’re just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
Our business is about helping people secure their financial futures, and that starts with putting people first – our clients, our employees and our field representatives. Northwestern Mutual is known for financial strength. We’re strong, innovative and growing. Come grow with us.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
What's the role?
We collaborate with internal business partners to implement data-driven solutions with measurable business value. Our innovative team of data scientists work in a highly collaborative, agile environment. As a Data Scientist, you will work with a diverse and talented team with responsibilities that include:
- Application of statistical and machine driven techniques to address business objectives and client needs;
- Building relationships and collaborating with stakeholders to gather, consolidate and validate business assumptions prior to undertaking analytical work;
- Collaborating within team to research, evaluate and select data sources;
- Partner with team to document requirements, assumptions and methodologies including validating, testing and implementation strategies;
- Designing rich data visualizations to communicate complex ideas to internal clients and leaders;
- Assuring compliance with regulatory and privacy requirements during design and implementation of database development, modeling and analysis projects;
- Creating clear and easy to understand presentations/reports
- Maintaining a high level of understanding of cutting edge data science techniques and tools;
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- Graduate Degree in quantitative disciplines such as Data Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science or related field
- Experience in statistical modeling and data mining using large and complex datasets
- Strong intellectual curiosity and willingness to adapt data science concepts and tools to solve real-world, business problems
- Demonstrated experience in influencing business decisions; including knowing when to escalate issues.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, listening and teamwork skills and effective presentation skills
- Demonstrated competencies such as excellent relationship management, creative problem solving, flexibility and willingness to challenge the status quo
- Programming experience with SAS, R and other software, SQL server or Hadoop experience is a plus.
Req ID: 10401
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Required
Employment Experience: 6-8 years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 01/10/2017