- Franklin, WI
You and Northwestern Mutual. We believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. And we’re much stronger together than we are apart. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they’re just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
Our business is about helping people secure their financial futures, and that starts with putting people first – our clients, our employees and our field representatives. Northwestern Mutual is known for financial strength. We’re strong, innovative and growing. Come grow with us.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
What's the role?
As a Database Engineer, you support database systems including analysis, planning, design, development, implementation, upgrades and day-to-day operations. Applying established best practices, you will take charge of complex systems to achieve strategic objectives in the areas of service management, risk management and project delivery. You will: execute detail database design tasks and create associated deliverables; provide estimates of work for database build and configuration; consult on right-sizing decisions for database solutions; transition database build and configuration work to the Service Operation DBA; collaborate with the other Infrastructure Engineering and Service Operations database administrators, as well as application developers and data specialists, on database design, configuration, and performance issues; Assist with the assessment of varying types of incidents, providing subject matter expertise as needed. A strategic thinker, you move between diverse tasks with cooperation and persistence, helping to bring out the best in those around you.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum 6 years experience in Database Administration
- Recent experience with DB2LUW DBA with Unix and Business Intelligence(Hadoop, Informatica, IIDR)
- Basic scripting knowledge: Unix shell scripting
- Basic awareness of other infrastructure technologies - for example, Websphere, Business Objects, Unix server administration, storage, or data networking
- Data modeling skills (Power Designer)
- Develop standard operating plans and procedures and coach others in their use
- Experience with application of DB2 LUW database patches
- Experience with database tools and monitors preferably Quest
- Service Management (ITIL)
- Developing estimates for support or projects
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with immediate team members, other IS areas, and clients in other departments
- Ability to set priorities for scope, risk and quality of technology solutions to meet business needs
- Ability to effectively communicate issues and solutions across all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated experience using project management methodologies
Req ID: 14721
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Desired
Employment Experience: 3-5 years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 06/23/2017