Assistant Director of Talent Analytics & Succession Planning
- Milwaukee, WI
You and Northwestern Mutual. We believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. And we’re much stronger together than we are apart. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they’re just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
Our business is about helping people secure their financial futures, and that starts with putting people first – our clients, our employees and our field representatives. Northwestern Mutual is known for financial strength. We’re strong, innovative and growing. Come grow with us.
At Northwestern Mutual, we believe relationships are built on trust. That our lives and our work matter. These beliefs launched our company nearly 160 years ago. Today, they're just a few of the reasons why people choose to build careers at Northwestern Mutual.
We're strong and growing. In a company with such a long and storied history, this may be the most exciting and important time to be a part of Northwestern Mutual. We're strong, innovative and growing.
We invest in our people. We provide opportunities for employees to grow themselves, their career and in turn, our business.
We care. We make a positive difference in our communities. Nationally, thousands have benefitted from our support of research and programs to fight childhood cancer. Each year, our Foundation, employees and financial representatives donate time, talent and financial support to causes they're passionate about.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age or status as a protected veteran, or any other characteristic protected by law.
What's the role?
As the Assistant Director, Field Leadership & Talent Analytics and Succession you will be responsible for:
- Leadership Succession: Leads design, implementation, evolution and management of an evidence-based succession planning process for all field leadership roles including deep succession plans for MPs and MDs and other critical field leadership roles – national & local. Ensure we have the right number of leaders with the right skills at the right time to deliver on our strategy.
- Comprehensive Assessments: Leads define, design, assemble and manage field leadership assessments including leadership potential/high potential, development, selection and succession.
- Enable Others: Train and mentor principals, associates and consultants as well as personally deliver group and individual feedback and coaching to all levels of NM field leaders.
- Develop, Mentor and Advises members of Career Distribution Sales and Management (CDSM) including Principals, Associates, Professional Services as well as field leadership on succession and talent management analytics industry best practices within NM.
- Metrics: Leads across CDSM identification and timely reporting/communications of leadership succession and talent metrics including insights about the potential/readiness of all MP, MD and other mission critical leadership potential successors.
- Field Leadership Attraction: Co-develops (HO & Field) strategies designed to continuously improve field leadership attractiveness and engagement. Contributes to the retention and development of field leaders by integrating leadership and talent engagement strategies into organizational practices.
- Integrated Talent Management: Ensures ongoing effectiveness by leveraging science and technologies interconnected to our field talent systems management systems and related talent processes including analytics to drive better talent decisions.
- Organizational Design/Development: Participate in cross organizational projects/processes to maximize organizational performance while responding to evolving business needs aligned to our strategy. Includes but not limited to success profiles, leadership development, compensation & rewards, field consulting and field coaching.
- Teaming: Leads, designs and directs tools, methodology and resources to support CDSM, Home Office HR, field and external partners to develop, implement and manage field leadership succession, assessment and talent analytics solutions including assisting other HO and field talent process owners to ensure the overall approach to talent development is consistent and aligned.
- Communications and Change Management: Leads, designs and directs learning and consulting initiatives to build change management leadership and capability to plan and execute major change that impacts field leadership and talent management and increases the probability of successful change adoption with the business objectives realized.
Bring Your Best! What this role needs:
- PHD Industrial/Organizational Psychology is required.
- A minimum of 8-10 years of relevant work experience in leadership succession and development, assessment sciences, leadership & talent management consulting/organizational effectiveness/performance consulting/business improvement in high performance companies.
- In depth understanding of multiple areas of financial services leadership & talent management including organizational design, leadership succession, assessment and development and sales/distribution team building.
- A demonstrated high level of consulting, influencing and decision making skills including extensive experience in consulting methods, tools and technologies focused on leadership & talent management.
- Demonstrated ability to take an idea from conception to successful and sustainable execution including leading all phases of project or program development, design, implementation including ongoing delivery management.
- Strong analytical and research skills with proven ability to absorb complex information and independently solve problems in a dynamic environment.
- Strong understanding of the issues facing the financial services industry and its talent pool and leadership pipelines.
- Skilled in diagnosing the need for, designing and implementing individual, team, inter group and organization wide interventions, such as:
i. Individual: strengths, detailers, motivators, and leadership career aspirations
ii. Team: team/trust building, conflict management, process consultation
iii. Inter group: conflict management, third party intervention, inter organizational development, interdependent entrepreneurial gaps
iv. Organization wide: structural change, change management, strategic planning, survey feedback
- Expertise and experience with commercial assessments instruments and systems including but not limited to CEB/SHL OPQ, MQ, Culture, Cognitive, 360s, experience inventories, group reporting and analytic tooling
- Strong organizational and project management skills with an ability to lead, manage, and collaborate in multiple and diverse projects.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) with an ability to provide individual and group feedback, make presentations and create written reports.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to establish rapport at all levels of the Home Office and Field, as well as external audiences.
- High degree of self-motivation with leadership and initiative in sharing information, contributing towards group goals, and accepting responsibility for results.
Req ID: 12824
Position Type: Regular Full Time
Education Experience: Bachelor's Required
Employment Experience: 9+ years
FLSA Status: Exempt
Posting Date: 04/07/2017