Customer Service Coordinator - Inpatient Psychiatry, Full-Time, Days
- 251 E. Huron, Chicago, IL
- Job Shift: Day Job (1st)
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Customer Service Coordinator reflects the mission, vision, and values of Northwestern Medicine, adheres to the organization's Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
- Provides patient activity coordination, patient flow direction and problem solving.
- Acts as a patient advocate and serves as a liaison between the assigned department and other hospital departments.
- Typical duties may include monitoring of daily operations, appointment coordination, organization of paperwork, computerized order entry, telephone triage and coordination of patient encounter information.
- Greets and establishes positive first impressions with department patients, establishing a role as patient advocate, in accordance with Patient's First service standards.
- Interacts with various hospital departments and physician's offices to effectively direct patients through the NMH system in a patient/customer friendly manner.
- Politely and promptly answers and appropriately triages department telephone calls.
- Enters laboratory and diagnostic testing orders on NMH computer systems.
- Schedules patients for physician and hospital encounters using the Cadence scheduling system.
- Correctly identifies and collects patient demographic information in accordance with hospital standards.
- Coordinates patient referrals, insurance referrals and consultations.
- Maintains department medical record systems.
- Distributes department correspondence.
- Coordinates department billing procedures and enters patient charges via the NMH Patient Management/Patient Accounting system.
- Encourages teamwork through interdepartmental communication.
- Identifies potential problems and notifies the manager.
- Organizes paperwork for patients by gathering the necessary materials and monitoring progress.
- Requires interaction with patients of all ages; pediatric,adult and geriatric including customers with communication barriers/sensory impairments.
- High school diploma
- Minimum of one year of experience in customer service or patient relations
- Excellent interpersonal verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Degree or additional training in business, communication or healthcare
- Computer data-entry/typing experience
- Experience in a healthcare setting
- Experience with automated patient scheduling
- Bilingual language skills
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.