Genetic Counseling Assistant, Full-time, Days
- 245 E. Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL
- Job Shift: Day Job (1st)
At Northwestern Medicine, every patient interaction makes a difference in cultivating a positive workplace. This patient-first approach is what sets us apart as a leader in the healthcare industry. As an integral part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to join our quest for better healthcare, no matter where you work within the Northwestern Medicine system. At Northwestern Medicine, we pride ourselves on providing competitive benefits: from tuition reimbursement and loan forgiveness to 401(k) matching and lifecycle benefits, we take care of our employees. Ready to join our quest for better?
The Genetic Counseling Assistant reflects the mission, vision, and values of NM, adheres to the organization’s Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance Program, and complies with all relevant policies, procedures, guidelines and all other regulatory and accreditation standards.
The Division of Clinical Genetics is seeking a full-time genetic counseling assistant to work with our Prenatal and Cancer Genetics teams. The individual in this position will work as part of an established team of genetic counselors, clinical geneticists, oncologists and medical subspecialists.
- Learn the genetic testing and billing processes and answer patient questions pertaining to the process
- Complete insurance preauthorization requests in online portals
- Mail or fax requested medical records requested by insurance providers and patients
- Prepare testing requisition forms for ~100 patients per week
- Obtaining 3 generation pedigree
- Call and/or send MyChart messages with results for ~125 patients per week
- Monitor shared Genetics email account
- Upload patient records to EPIC
- Organize and manage ordering of test kits for lab
- Review upcoming patient schedules to ensure team has necessary records
- Organize and triage the genetics referral queue
- Prepare requested letters of medical necessity
- Contact laboratories to request amendments to incorrect reports
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong organization, problem-solving and interpersonal skills, and the ability to work as part of a team
- Experience with MS Office Suite, Adobe
- Bachelor’s degree with focus on science (genetics, biology or other)
- 2 years’ experience in a customer-oriented position, preferably in an office environment
- Experience with EPIC EMR
Northwestern Medicine is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation or any other protected status.